Helping families in parenthood
A PORTISHEAD yoga instructor who specialises in antenatal classes has extended her programme to help families into parenthood.
Tamsyn Grant began supporting Portishead mums-to-be with antenatal yoga classes in 2009 while pregnant with her second daughter Violet.
Now, the 39-year-old has developed a range of support services for families from pregnancy into parenthood.
Keen to get dads involved and for partners to come together in the birth process, Tamsyn now offers birth preparation sessions for couples in the privacy of their own home. Then after the birth the support continues.
The mum-of-two said: “When mums give birth they like to return to the yoga classes to share their birth stories and introduce their babies, but it doesn’t stop there.
You may also want to watch:
“I know how important it can be for mums to have someone to call on if the family needs some extra support during the early days, which led me to run a postnatal home support service for new parents.”
The service can involve anything from emotional support, encouragement and confidence-building for both parents, as well as breastfeeding support and help with baby care.
- 1 How to order free Covid home tests
- 2 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 3 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 4 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 5 Special school expansion progress
- 6 Nailsea Cricket Club start senior nets for new season
- 7 Nailsea's first virtual flower show winners announced
- 8 North Somerset and Somerset libraries reopen this week
- 9 Families enjoy Easter donkey tale trail at church
- 10 Clevedon's first tournament of season is big hit
Then when mum and baby have recovered from the birth, Tamsyn provides postnatal classes for mums and babies.
The weekly classes allow mum and baby to enjoy time together, with relaxation and exercise for mums to aid postnatal recovery and gentle movement and singing for babies.
Tamsyn is also the chairman of MAMMA, a local volunteer breastfeeding peer support group which meets at the St Barnabas Centre in West Hill on Tuesdays between 10-11.30am.
For more details call Tamsyn on 01275 846882.