Healthy lifestyle lessons for kids
A NEW healthy lifestyle programme aimed at tackling childhood obesity is to be unveiled in Backwell by NHS North Somerset later this month.
The Mind, Exercise, Nutrition…Do it! (MEND) initiative will run over 10 weeks from September 27 and hopes to curb the growing threat of obesity in children.
The sessions will run at Backwell School and will provide information on healthy eating, fun food tasters and physical games for the children to get involved in.
Nationwide, one in three children are now classed as obese and NHS North Somerset are confident the MEND programme can show healthiness does not have to be boring.
Programme manager, Helen Caldwell, said: “This course helps families become healthier and fitter for life.
You may also want to watch:
“On the MEND programme children quickly make new friends and really enjoy trying out the different activities on offer. By the end of the 10 weeks their confidence has greatly improved.
“Parents tell us that they enjoy learning about nutrition in a relaxed atmosphere and like swapping tips with other mums and dads on the course.”
- 1 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 2 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 3 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 4 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 5 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 6 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 7 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
- 8 'Amazing atmosphere' at return of Clevedon Parkrun
- 9 Protestors take to the streets against Bristol Airport
- 10 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
Sessions will take place twice a week after school and families will learn about healthy portion sizes, how to read food labels and be shown the effect different foods can have on their health.
The classes are available for families with children aged seven-13 and are also being run at Worle Community School in Weston. For more information and to book a place call 0800 2300263.