Healthy lifestyle lessons for kids
A NEW healthy lifestyle programme aimed at tackling childhood obesity is to be unveiled in Backwell by NHS North Somerset later this month.
The Mind, Exercise, Nutrition…Do it! (MEND) initiative will run over 10 weeks from September 27 and hopes to curb the growing threat of obesity in children.
The sessions will run at Backwell School and will provide information on healthy eating, fun food tasters and physical games for the children to get involved in.
Nationwide, one in three children are now classed as obese and NHS North Somerset are confident the MEND programme can show healthiness does not have to be boring.
Programme manager, Helen Caldwell, said: “This course helps families become healthier and fitter for life.
You may also want to watch:
“On the MEND programme children quickly make new friends and really enjoy trying out the different activities on offer. By the end of the 10 weeks their confidence has greatly improved.
“Parents tell us that they enjoy learning about nutrition in a relaxed atmosphere and like swapping tips with other mums and dads on the course.”
- 1 How to order free Covid home tests
- 2 Special school expansion progress
- 3 Road to Wimbledon chance for North Somerset youngsters
- 4 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 5 Health shop stocks fruit and vegetables free from plastic packaging
- 6 Reopening: Thousands booked as hairdressers reopen
- 7 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 8 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
- 9 Your Paper, Your Voice – we’re here to listen and act
- 10 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
Sessions will take place twice a week after school and families will learn about healthy portion sizes, how to read food labels and be shown the effect different foods can have on their health.
The classes are available for families with children aged seven-13 and are also being run at Worle Community School in Weston. For more information and to book a place call 0800 2300263.