Healthy lifestyle lessons for kids
A NEW healthy lifestyle programme aimed at tackling childhood obesity is to be unveiled in Backwell by NHS North Somerset later this month.
The Mind, Exercise, Nutrition…Do it! (MEND) initiative will run over 10 weeks from September 27 and hopes to curb the growing threat of obesity in children.
The sessions will run at Backwell School and will provide information on healthy eating, fun food tasters and physical games for the children to get involved in.
Nationwide, one in three children are now classed as obese and NHS North Somerset are confident the MEND programme can show healthiness does not have to be boring.
Programme manager, Helen Caldwell, said: “This course helps families become healthier and fitter for life.
“On the MEND programme children quickly make new friends and really enjoy trying out the different activities on offer. By the end of the 10 weeks their confidence has greatly improved.
“Parents tell us that they enjoy learning about nutrition in a relaxed atmosphere and like swapping tips with other mums and dads on the course.”
- 1 Superb, high-spec house in a Nailsea hotspot
- 2 North Somerset flytipper pays £1,600 after dumping bathtub
- 3 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Clevedon Choral back after 18 month hiatus caused by pandemic
- 7 Construction finally begins for special educational needs school
- 8 Clevedon Library to close for THREE MONTHS for major refurb
- 9 Gardens on view for Clevedon wildlife trail
- 10 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
Sessions will take place twice a week after school and families will learn about healthy portion sizes, how to read food labels and be shown the effect different foods can have on their health.
The classes are available for families with children aged seven-13 and are also being run at Worle Community School in Weston. For more information and to book a place call 0800 2300263.