Golf course tees off for opening
PROPOSALS to reopen a dormant golf course in Portishead have moved a step forward.
A planning application has been submitted to build a clubhouse and green keeper’s hut at the Nore Road site next to The Windmill pub.
Golf For All Limited secured 25-year lease on the site earlier this year when it was awarded the concession by North Somerset Council. The Dorset-based organisation has run a similar course in Bournemouth for the past 10 years.
Proposals include providing a community-based quality nine-hole golf course, complemented by a teaching facility with a clubhouse and shop.
Roderick Watkins from Golf For All says they aim to create a golf facility that is challenging but playable by all levels, from beginners to experienced golfers.
You may also want to watch:
The once-popular golf course has been closed and left to deteriorate for more than five years.
Residents are hoping the opening of the golf course will bring with it the re-opening of the public toilets, adjacent to the site, that were closed several years ago.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 6 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 7 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 8 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season