Golf course tees off for opening
PROPOSALS to reopen a dormant golf course in Portishead have moved a step forward.
A planning application has been submitted to build a clubhouse and green keeper’s hut at the Nore Road site next to The Windmill pub.
Golf For All Limited secured 25-year lease on the site earlier this year when it was awarded the concession by North Somerset Council. The Dorset-based organisation has run a similar course in Bournemouth for the past 10 years.
Proposals include providing a community-based quality nine-hole golf course, complemented by a teaching facility with a clubhouse and shop.
Roderick Watkins from Golf For All says they aim to create a golf facility that is challenging but playable by all levels, from beginners to experienced golfers.
You may also want to watch:
The once-popular golf course has been closed and left to deteriorate for more than five years.
Residents are hoping the opening of the golf course will bring with it the re-opening of the public toilets, adjacent to the site, that were closed several years ago.
- 1 Zoo farm 'distraught' after death of elephant
- 2 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 3 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 4 Man forced to pay £2k for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 5 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 6 PICTURES: Backwell School throws leavers festival
- 7 RNLI volunteer 'will be sorely missed'
- 8 School staff praised for lockdown learning with ice cream treats
- 9 Royals praise North Somerset children's hospice
- 10 ‘You’ve been flamingoed!”