Girl’s brain tumour inspires uncle
A PORTISHEAD schoolgirl who suffered a brain tumour has inspired a fund-raising bike ride to raise money for CLIC Sargent.
Last September 11-year-old India Leonard went off to Gordano School like on any other day, but hours later her mum Kim was called to say teachers were having difficulty communicating with her.
Concerned at the sudden change in her daughter, Kim took her to Bristol Children’s Hospital where it was discovered India was suffering from a brain tumour.
Kim said: “It was devastating.
“But, things moved so quickly we didn’t have too much time to dwell on possibilities.”
You may also want to watch:
India endured a ten-hour operation to remove the tumour and the family were then faced with a six-day wait for results of the biopsy.
They were relieved to discover the tumour was benign and India is now making a good recovery.
- 1 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 2 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 3 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 4 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 5 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 6 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 7 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 8 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
- 9 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 10 Council plea to public as services impacted by pingdemic
The whole family says it was extremely impressed with and thankful for the care India received and they now want to give something back.
India’s uncle, Portishead barber Mark O’Hare, is planning to raise money for CLIC Sargent by cycling 10,200 miles from John O’Groats to Lands End. He started training in November to prepare himself for the marathon ride, which he hopes to complete in May.
When Mark arrives in Cornwall India will ride the last twenty miles with him, along with Mark’s son Oliver, his daughter Chloe, and India’s sister Amber.
Mark is gathering sponsorship for the cause at his Portishead barbershop at the Triangle, West Hill, or anyone wanting to support him can also visit the web page at Virgin Money Giving, type in Mark O’Hare and complete a sponsor form.
For more details call Mark on 07980 323058.