George and Union J reach X Factor’s halfway point
TEENAGE X Factor star George Shelley and his band mates of Union J have made it through the halfway point of the ITV competition – but have admitted the pressure is now on for the popular boy band.
Nineteen-year-old George of Clevedon and the band were the first act announced through to the next live show on Sunday, leaving just five more performances which could see them crowned X Factor winners.
This was a big turn-around for the band after they were in the bottom two acts last week, with the lowest audience votes. Union J were forced to sing for survival, against solo contestant Jade Ellis, and were voted through by three of the four judges.
After the show they took to the social network site Twitter – where they already have almost half a million followers - and apologised to fans.
The former Weston College student said: “There is so much pressure on now, we wanted to come back with a bang and prove our place in the competition.
You may also want to watch:
“We are still enjoying every single second of it but it is really hard work.”
But despite the long rehearsal sessions to keep their place in the competition for a �1million recording contract, George said he and the band are loving their new life of fame.
- 1 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 2 Zoo farm 'distraught' after death of elephant
- 3 Man forced to pay £2k for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 4 Elton John to perform in Bristol next year
- 5 Have your say about possible development surrounding Weston Big Wood
- 6 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 7 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 8 School staff praised for lockdown learning with ice cream treats
- 9 ‘You’ve been flamingoed!”
- 10 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
He said: “We planned a meet and greet session with fans but the shopping centre got so overcrowded, before we even showed up, that girls were getting hurt.
“There was not enough security so it had to be cancelled.
“It’s amazing to know that we have that support but we just need them to vote.”
After talking about his female fan attention George denied rumours that he is dating fellow contestant Ella Henderson, which have been circulating in the media.
He said: “No we are not dating and I don’t have a girlfriend at the moment.”
George and Union J will perform once again on Saturday’s live show.