George and Union J reach X Factor’s halfway point
TEENAGE X Factor star George Shelley and his band mates of Union J have made it through the halfway point of the ITV competition – but have admitted the pressure is now on for the popular boy band.
Nineteen-year-old George of Clevedon and the band were the first act announced through to the next live show on Sunday, leaving just five more performances which could see them crowned X Factor winners.
This was a big turn-around for the band after they were in the bottom two acts last week, with the lowest audience votes. Union J were forced to sing for survival, against solo contestant Jade Ellis, and were voted through by three of the four judges.
After the show they took to the social network site Twitter – where they already have almost half a million followers - and apologised to fans.
The former Weston College student said: “There is so much pressure on now, we wanted to come back with a bang and prove our place in the competition.
You may also want to watch:
“We are still enjoying every single second of it but it is really hard work.”
But despite the long rehearsal sessions to keep their place in the competition for a �1million recording contract, George said he and the band are loving their new life of fame.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 6 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 7 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 8 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
He said: “We planned a meet and greet session with fans but the shopping centre got so overcrowded, before we even showed up, that girls were getting hurt.
“There was not enough security so it had to be cancelled.
“It’s amazing to know that we have that support but we just need them to vote.”
After talking about his female fan attention George denied rumours that he is dating fellow contestant Ella Henderson, which have been circulating in the media.
He said: “No we are not dating and I don’t have a girlfriend at the moment.”
George and Union J will perform once again on Saturday’s live show.