Fire rips through High Street business
PUBLISHED: 09:25 24 November 2011 | UPDATED: 12:06 24 November 2011
FIRE ripped through a High Street business in Nailsea last night.
At about 10pm yesterday (Wed), a passerby called the fire service after spotting smoke coming from the first floor window of the property used by Heritage estate agents.
Crews from fire stations in Nailsea, Temple and Bedminster attended the scene and managed to get into the building.
A fire had taken hold in the first floor of the property.
Twelve firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were involved in tackling the flames and were able to use ladders up against the property’s windows to do so.
Hose reels and jets were used to reach the fire and firefighters also used the windows leading to the second floor loft conversion.
As a result of the fire, the ground floor was damaged by a partial ceiling collapse.
The first floor was extensively damaged by fire and there was some damage to the second floor, which was used as storage space.
Fortunately, firefighters were able to stop the flames from spreading to other businesses.
They remained at the scene until 2am to ensure the fire had been completely extinguished, using a thermal imaging camera to check the property.
One crew is back at the scene this morning (Thurs) to carry out an inspection of the building.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.
* An earlier report said the fire had affected The Co-operative Funeral Care, which has now been corrected. Apologies for any confusion caused.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.