Youths debate important issues
A SPECIAL Question Time event held at Gordano School in Portishead sparked a lively debate on youth issues.
The evening event was organised by members of the UK Youth Parliament for North Somerset, Peter Davies and Benny Fones, along with a number of other enthusiastic young people.
Five main questions about issues that affect young people in and around Portishead led to in-depth discussions among the panel and audience.
The panel consisted of BBC weather presenter Jemma Cooper, North Somerset Coaches owner David Fricker, Gordano student and youth MP Peter Davies, Gordano School’s deputy head boy Adam Kraushaar, Gordano School headteacher Gary Lewis and North Somerset Council representatives Sheila Smith, Cllr Jeremy Blatchford and Cllr Lisa Pilgrim
Major issues discussed included the desire for a skate park and cinema in Portishead and the high cost of public transport. Most of the young people attending the event also called for more political education for young people.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the event said: “Portishead Question Time went extremely well showing that many young people have an interest in local issues and would like their voices heard within North Somerset.”
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 3 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 4 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 5 Ashton & Backwell begin new season with defeat at Keynsham
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Save Weston Big Wood gatherings this weekend
- 8 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 9 Ashton & Backwell United announce departure of Rich
- 10 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage