Youths debate important issues
A SPECIAL Question Time event held at Gordano School in Portishead sparked a lively debate on youth issues.
The evening event was organised by members of the UK Youth Parliament for North Somerset, Peter Davies and Benny Fones, along with a number of other enthusiastic young people.
Five main questions about issues that affect young people in and around Portishead led to in-depth discussions among the panel and audience.
The panel consisted of BBC weather presenter Jemma Cooper, North Somerset Coaches owner David Fricker, Gordano student and youth MP Peter Davies, Gordano School’s deputy head boy Adam Kraushaar, Gordano School headteacher Gary Lewis and North Somerset Council representatives Sheila Smith, Cllr Jeremy Blatchford and Cllr Lisa Pilgrim
Major issues discussed included the desire for a skate park and cinema in Portishead and the high cost of public transport. Most of the young people attending the event also called for more political education for young people.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the event said: “Portishead Question Time went extremely well showing that many young people have an interest in local issues and would like their voices heard within North Somerset.”
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 3 How to order free Covid home tests
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 7 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
- 8 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 9 Parents praise nurseries and childminders for support during pandemic
- 10 Barclays to close North Somerset branches