Youths debate important issues
A SPECIAL Question Time event held at Gordano School in Portishead sparked a lively debate on youth issues.
The evening event was organised by members of the UK Youth Parliament for North Somerset, Peter Davies and Benny Fones, along with a number of other enthusiastic young people.
Five main questions about issues that affect young people in and around Portishead led to in-depth discussions among the panel and audience.
The panel consisted of BBC weather presenter Jemma Cooper, North Somerset Coaches owner David Fricker, Gordano student and youth MP Peter Davies, Gordano School’s deputy head boy Adam Kraushaar, Gordano School headteacher Gary Lewis and North Somerset Council representatives Sheila Smith, Cllr Jeremy Blatchford and Cllr Lisa Pilgrim
Major issues discussed included the desire for a skate park and cinema in Portishead and the high cost of public transport. Most of the young people attending the event also called for more political education for young people.
A spokesman for the event said: “Portishead Question Time went extremely well showing that many young people have an interest in local issues and would like their voices heard within North Somerset.”
- 1 Construction training centre opens in Portishead
- 2 M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- 3 Taxpayers paid £60k for Liam Fox's failed bid for WTO job: Reports
- 4 Appeal launched to save town's Christmas light displays
- 5 Portishead-Bristol bus plan would save £100 MILLION, campaigner claims
- 6 Geocaching added to Nailsea Heritage Trail
- 7 Martin Kemp to play 1980s tunes in Weston this weekend
- 8 New Clevedon charity is helping to create the scientists of the future
- 9 WIN: Tickets to Olivier Award-winning play screening in Clevedon
- 10 Legal challenge over plans to dump dredging waste off Portishead