UK football title won by Gordano’s under-12s
- Credit: n/a
Gordano School officially has the best under-12 five-a-side team in the country.
The Portishead school competed in the ESFA Impact UK Football Fives Final in Birmingham.
They booked their place by comprehensively winning the South West competition, as the girls scored 22 goals and only conceded twice.
The finals, which saw the best schools from around the country compete, were unsurprisingly cagier affairs.
Queen’s School, from Watford, were beaten 4-0 by Gordano in the opening match and it was followed up by a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 victory over teams from Newcastle and Telford.
You may also want to watch:
That was enough to give the girls a semi-final berth.
Two goals from Katie Quick and a Millie Rosenior strike sealed a 3-1 win after Kingsdale School in London had taken an early lead.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Dad drove family 270 miles for kebab before crashing on M5
- 3 Man due in court after cars stolen in burglary
- 4 North Somerset Council urges businesses to apply for grant funding
- 5 Portishead Lake Grounds gates to be installed this week
- 6 Carpenter remembers Clevedon's Bristol Combination Vase triumph
- 7 'Every time you are active, your mental health improves'
- 8 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 9 Mental health services to help people cope in lockdown
- 10 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
It meant Gordano faced off against Alder Community College in the final – a team which Gordano’s girls had lost to the previous year.
And it looked like history would repeat itself when they went 3-0 down but a remarkable comeback in the final two minutes saw Quick score one and Ellie Challenger two to take the game into extra-time. In that additional period Rosenior grabbed the winner.
PE teacher Justin Yau said: “The girls were absolutely magnificent and the resilience and character which they displayed was astonishing.
“Three times they looked down and out but they found a way to claw themselves back into games.
“It is just reward for a brilliant set of students and I hope this is the start of many more things to come.
“The girls were a real credit to coach and I hope they will continue to enjoy their success.”
Mr Lau also praised Portishead Junior Girls for their impact on the Gordano team.