TV reporters for the day
YOUNGSTERS from Portishead became TV news reporters for the day as part of a project to engage young people in the news.
More than 20 students from Gordano School teamed up with pupils from schools across the UK, to make the news for the BBC’s School Report News Day.
Pupils were given the opportunity to decide which stories their school should report on and their work was featured on BBC news programmes throughout the day.
The Portishead students broadcast current affairs news but related them to the local area.
Zara, a year seven pupil, contacted friends living in Libya to get a first hand view of life amid the unrest, the junior reporters looked at how the budget would affect their families and they investigated the census.
You may also want to watch:
On a local level they interviewed the headteacher and the site manager about the new teaching block currently under construction at the school.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 6 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 7 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 8 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 9 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 10 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022