Primary school appoints new headteacher
- Credit: Archant
Tickenham Primary School has appointed an award-winning teacher as its new head of school.
Ceri Wootten qualified as a teacher in 2000 and has spent her career in the Bristol area, teaching all year groups from one to six.
She has worked alongside colleagues as a maths teacher to develop and support subject leaders and class teachers in their planning, delivery and evaluation of maths.
In 2003, Ceri won a teaching award for outstanding new teacher in the South West.
The primary school, in Clevedon Road, gained academy status and joined the Clevedon Learning Trust (CLT) in January 2015 and has a small number of pupils, with 81 on its roll, the majority of which commute from nearby towns.
Ceri takes over from Tristan Merriam, who stepped down in July to 'take up a new challenge in business'.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Merriam became the headteacher in 2016 and reduced class sizes in 2017, with them cut to as small as nine youngsters in year six, to allow teachers to spend more time with individual pupils and speed up their learning.
The primary school was named a 'good' school with 'outstanding features' by Ofsted in 2017, with inspectors noting the school's 'fantastic culture' helped make children feel 'safe and able to achieve'.
- 1 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 2 Officer's final written warning after sending inappropriate messages
- 3 WIN: Tickets to Cliff Richard live concert screening
- 4 Bristol Combination Vase: Nailsea & Backwell RFC looking to create history says Hill
- 5 North Somerset authors publish books
- 6 Nailsea & Backwell RFC v Bristol Imperial RFC LIVE BLOG
- 7 Councillor calls for misogyny to be classed as hate crime
- 8 Appeal after man injured in robbery
- 9 Coffee morning raises hundreds of pounds for two charities
- 10 Road group condemns 'unacceptable traffic misery' in village
Heather Good, director of primary school improvement for the CLT, who will be assisting Ceri, told the Times: "These are exciting days for our Tickenham community.
"We are delighted to welcome Ceri into the role of head of school at Tickenham. She has already settled in well and I am looking forward to working closely with her."