Talented team prepares for maths final
- Credit: Archant
Four students from Backwell School have secured a place in the finals of a prestigious maths competition.
Luke Barratt, Stuart Hull, Dan Wanger and Ben Curnow in years 11 to 13 beat teams from 19 other schools at the regional heat of the senior team mathematics competition, which is organised by the Further Mathematics Support Programme in partnership with the UK Mathematics Trust
The competition was split into three sections and students were set a number of complicated and challenging maths puzzles lasting for around three hours.
Debbie Usoro, head of maths and computing at Backwell School, accompanied the team to the regional heat in Bristol.
She said: “I am delighted for the students and so proud of them. They are a very talented team and deserve to do well in the finals in February.”
You may also want to watch:
The challenge is open to students in years 11, 12 and 13 and tests mathematical, communication and teamwork skills.
The competition is sponsored by Rolls-Royce plc and the team will be travelling to London to take part in the final on February 2.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 3 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 6 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 7 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 8 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 PICTURES: Hot air balloons take flight over Bristol at Fiesta Fortnight launch