Talented team prepares for maths final
- Credit: Archant
Four students from Backwell School have secured a place in the finals of a prestigious maths competition.
Luke Barratt, Stuart Hull, Dan Wanger and Ben Curnow in years 11 to 13 beat teams from 19 other schools at the regional heat of the senior team mathematics competition, which is organised by the Further Mathematics Support Programme in partnership with the UK Mathematics Trust
The competition was split into three sections and students were set a number of complicated and challenging maths puzzles lasting for around three hours.
Debbie Usoro, head of maths and computing at Backwell School, accompanied the team to the regional heat in Bristol.
She said: “I am delighted for the students and so proud of them. They are a very talented team and deserve to do well in the finals in February.”
You may also want to watch:
The challenge is open to students in years 11, 12 and 13 and tests mathematical, communication and teamwork skills.
The competition is sponsored by Rolls-Royce plc and the team will be travelling to London to take part in the final on February 2.
- 1 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 2 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 3 Conservative named as Avon and Somerset police and crime commissioner
- 4 Boy, 17, 'with machete' arrested in village
- 5 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected
- 6 Nailsea & Backwell enjoy return to rugby action
- 7 May 17: Museums gear up to reopen in North Somerset next week
- 8 LOCAL ELECTIONS: Who you can vote for in the by-election tomorrow
- 9 Yatton Bowling Club getting more youngsters involved
- 10 May 17: What can't open when COVID lockdown rules ease