Sporting stars open new centre
COMMONWEALTH gold medal-winning gymnast Imogen Cairns and Bristol Rovers manager Paul Buckle have declared a new all-weather sports pitch in Portishead officially open.
The pair unveiled a plaque at Gordano Sports Centre at Gordano School to mark the official takeover of the centre by the Gordano Community Trust.
North Somerset Council has handed over the management of community sports centres throughout the region to community trusts as part of a budget cutting exercise.
The new all-weather multi-use pitch and a floodlit artificial grass pitch suitable for five-a-side football, are part of the trust’s programme of improvements for the sports centre. Changing facilities in the sports hall have also been upgraded and there are plans for further improvements.
The all-weather pitches and the sports centre are open to clubs and members of the public outside school hours. The pitches are already home two hockey clubs and teams from Portishead and Gordano Valley Giants football clubs.
You may also want to watch:
For more deatails visit www.gordanosportscentre.org.uk or call 01275 842606.
- 1 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 2 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 3 Man with long Covid urges others to take virus seriously
- 4 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 5 May 17: Bristol Airport 'disappointed' with green list
- 6 Lions fund noticeboard for Backwell viewpoint
- 7 Clevedon AC members enjoy Glastonbury 10k outing
- 8 Mixed fortunes for Clevedon LTC teams on league return
- 9 Call for community to support 'vital' children's hospice
- 10 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected