Sporting stars open new centre
COMMONWEALTH gold medal-winning gymnast Imogen Cairns and Bristol Rovers manager Paul Buckle have declared a new all-weather sports pitch in Portishead officially open.
The pair unveiled a plaque at Gordano Sports Centre at Gordano School to mark the official takeover of the centre by the Gordano Community Trust.
North Somerset Council has handed over the management of community sports centres throughout the region to community trusts as part of a budget cutting exercise.
The new all-weather multi-use pitch and a floodlit artificial grass pitch suitable for five-a-side football, are part of the trust’s programme of improvements for the sports centre. Changing facilities in the sports hall have also been upgraded and there are plans for further improvements.
The all-weather pitches and the sports centre are open to clubs and members of the public outside school hours. The pitches are already home two hockey clubs and teams from Portishead and Gordano Valley Giants football clubs.
You may also want to watch:
For more deatails visit www.gordanosportscentre.org.uk or call 01275 842606.
- 1 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 2 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 3 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 4 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
- 5 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 6 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 7 Brand new five-bedroom family home in AONB
- 8 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 9 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 10 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals