Sporting stars open new centre
COMMONWEALTH gold medal-winning gymnast Imogen Cairns and Bristol Rovers manager Paul Buckle have declared a new all-weather sports pitch in Portishead officially open.
The pair unveiled a plaque at Gordano Sports Centre at Gordano School to mark the official takeover of the centre by the Gordano Community Trust.
North Somerset Council has handed over the management of community sports centres throughout the region to community trusts as part of a budget cutting exercise.
The new all-weather multi-use pitch and a floodlit artificial grass pitch suitable for five-a-side football, are part of the trust’s programme of improvements for the sports centre. Changing facilities in the sports hall have also been upgraded and there are plans for further improvements.
The all-weather pitches and the sports centre are open to clubs and members of the public outside school hours. The pitches are already home two hockey clubs and teams from Portishead and Gordano Valley Giants football clubs.
For more deatails visit www.gordanosportscentre.org.uk or call 01275 842606.
- 1 Fatal collision in Clevedon leaves man in his 70s dead
- 2 House of Commons gives Liam Fox reason for Portishead Rail delay
- 3 Santa routes for towns this December are revealed
- 4 Clevedon B&M redevelopment approved, despite hundreds of objections
- 5 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 6 Lovell's heroics ensure Clevedon Town pick up draw with Ilfracombe Town
- 7 Man to run half marathon for cancer charity
- 8 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 New Mercury and Times editor appointed
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam