Sporting stars open new centre
COMMONWEALTH gold medal-winning gymnast Imogen Cairns and Bristol Rovers manager Paul Buckle have declared a new all-weather sports pitch in Portishead officially open.
The pair unveiled a plaque at Gordano Sports Centre at Gordano School to mark the official takeover of the centre by the Gordano Community Trust.
North Somerset Council has handed over the management of community sports centres throughout the region to community trusts as part of a budget cutting exercise.
The new all-weather multi-use pitch and a floodlit artificial grass pitch suitable for five-a-side football, are part of the trust’s programme of improvements for the sports centre. Changing facilities in the sports hall have also been upgraded and there are plans for further improvements.
The all-weather pitches and the sports centre are open to clubs and members of the public outside school hours. The pitches are already home two hockey clubs and teams from Portishead and Gordano Valley Giants football clubs.
You may also want to watch:
For more deatails visit www.gordanosportscentre.org.uk or call 01275 842606.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 3 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 6 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 7 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 8 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 9 PICTURES: Hot air balloons take flight over Bristol at Fiesta Fortnight launch
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week