School girls creates Christmas cards for charity
- Credit: Jess Mcmanus
A kind-hearted school pupil from Clevedon has designed and created Christmas cards to sell in order to raise money for a homeless charity.
Bethany McManus, aged 11, who attends Clevedon School, is earning cash for Crisis, which supports people who are living on the streets.
The artist has so far crafted and sold more than 150 handmade cards at 50p each.
Her main customers have been family and friends, now she is appealing to the wider community to dig into their pockets to support her cause.
Money Bethany will donate to Crisis will contribute to providing food and festive treats, to people who usually live on the streets.
Homeless will also receive emotional and wellbeing support from the Crisis teams this Christmas.
Bethany said: "I wanted to do the cards to raise money for the homeless so that they would be off the streets for Christmas, it has been hard doing so many cards but worth it."
- 1 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 3 Funding ensures children benefit from healthy food and holiday clubs this summer
- 4 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 5 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 6 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 8 PICTURES: Inside Clevedon Pier's Glass Box Cafe
- 9 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 10 Sections of historic Portishead railway line to be reused for project
Bethany’s mum, Jess McManus, said: “My daughter is incredibly arty and she had an idea last month to make some money by painting Christmas cards, so that she had funds to buy Christmas presents.
"After we had a discussion about pricing and design, she then decided to support Crisis by giving half of her sales away.
"That was a natural choice, as she really struggles seeing someone on the street and not being able to help there and then, but by doing this she can help.
“Bethany has sold so many cards, that she can donate enough money to help get three people off the streets this Christmas time.
"I am so proud of her, it has been quite an undertaking; but just like her school motto says ‘be kind, be brilliant’, and I think she is just that.”
Bethany has been busy, spending her time painting more Christmas cards.
She now has an additional 100 cards available, and is hoping more people will support her efforts by purchasing them.
Anyone wanting to place an order should contact Jess through her email Jess.email@example.com