Runner taking on 401 marathons in 401 days visits school
- Credit: Archant
Excited pupils welcomed a ‘local hero’ into school last week.
Ben Smith, from Portishead, is running 401 marathons in as many days and took a brief moment when he was not out pounding the streets to pop in and chat to the youngsters.
He visited Portishead Primary School to talk about his incredible challenge, which is raising money for Stonewall and Kidscape charities – both of which support children who are victims of bullying.
A spokesman for the school said: “Pupils were treated to a question and answer session in the midst of Ben’s record-breaking challenge.
“Ben is aiming to complete a remarkable 401 marathons in the same number of days.
You may also want to watch:
“He started his UK-wide venture in September last year and is now closing in on his target which will become a new world record.
“The main aim of the endurance extravaganza is to help stamp out bullying, something which Ben suffered from as a youngster.”
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening
- 3 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 4 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 5 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 6 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 7 How to order free Covid home tests
- 8 Floral display helping to cheer up shoppers in Nailsea
- 9 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 10 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
Ben hopes to raise £250,000 through his endeavours and he has now passed the 10,000-mile mark in his extraordinary effort.
He is being given a boost by pupils however, as they, along with some staff members, are lacing up their trainers and running 401 miles to support Ben’s marathon running feat.