Runner taking on 401 marathons in 401 days visits school
- Credit: Archant
Excited pupils welcomed a ‘local hero’ into school last week.
Ben Smith, from Portishead, is running 401 marathons in as many days and took a brief moment when he was not out pounding the streets to pop in and chat to the youngsters.
He visited Portishead Primary School to talk about his incredible challenge, which is raising money for Stonewall and Kidscape charities – both of which support children who are victims of bullying.
A spokesman for the school said: “Pupils were treated to a question and answer session in the midst of Ben’s record-breaking challenge.
“Ben is aiming to complete a remarkable 401 marathons in the same number of days.
You may also want to watch:
“He started his UK-wide venture in September last year and is now closing in on his target which will become a new world record.
“The main aim of the endurance extravaganza is to help stamp out bullying, something which Ben suffered from as a youngster.”
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 2 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 3 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
- 4 Camera club wants new members to join
- 5 PICTURES: Nailsea farmers market birthday party
- 6 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes
- 7 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 8 Stone Roses songs to be recreated in Weston
- 9 'Incredible' Nailsea & Backwell RFC win first ever Bristol Combination Vase
- 10 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
Ben hopes to raise £250,000 through his endeavours and he has now passed the 10,000-mile mark in his extraordinary effort.
He is being given a boost by pupils however, as they, along with some staff members, are lacing up their trainers and running 401 miles to support Ben’s marathon running feat.