Revamp for school sport centre
THE sport centre at Clevedon School is undergoing a major refurbishment after being taken over by a not-for-profit organisation.
New changing rooms, showers, toilets, heating systems and a new reception area are being created at the facility, which was formerly known as Swiss Valley Sport Centre and has now been renamed Clevedon School Sports Centre.
The facility at the Valley Road site has been taken over by a not-for-profit charitable company with a board of trustees operating it.
As before, it will be used by the school during school hours and be open to the public during evenings and weekends.
The move comes after it was announced in 2010 that, along with other dual-use sport centres at schools in North Somerset, the running of it was to be reviewed by North Somerset Council.
You may also want to watch:
The announcement prompted concerns among sport centre users that it could be closed down. However, Clevedon School has worked with North Somerset Council to ensure it remains open for the future.
Clevedon School headteacher John Wells said: “The board of trustees is currently a small group made up of school staff and others with governor links.
- 1 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village
- 2 Staff working 'tirelessly' to reopen school after 'catastrophic' flood damage
- 3 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 4 Clevedon's home match with Gordano will be 'hugely proud moment' for Owen
- 5 North Somerset mortgage firm named UK's number one broker for outstanding customer outcomes
- 6 Funds of £20k available for North Somerset groups
- 7 Care home enjoys visit from donkey
- 8 Gordano RFC maintain perfect start to season with Cleve RFC win
- 9 Charity gains national recognition at awards
- 10 Work begins on new section of car-free Strawberry Line route
“When the centre grows then it is hoped more people from the community will get involved.”
Jemma Appleby has been appointed by the trust as Clevedon School Sports Centre manager.
Company trustee and Clevedon School business manager, David Bishop said: “Jemma has successfully developed a school-based sports centre in Nottingham and is now looking forward to providing outstanding sporting and leisure opportunities for the community of Clevedon.”
The centre is expected to remain closed until June 6, when the refurbishment will be complete.
The revamp has been jointly funded by the trust, Clevedon School and North Somerset Council.