Record year for Gordano pupils
- Credit: Archant
GORDANO School celebrated a record number of top performances by its GCSE students this year.
More than 77 per cent of students achieved five or more passes at C grade or above and 66 per cent hit the five A*-C, including English and maths, measure.
Thirty-five per cent of the year group also qualified for the new English Baccalaureate which rewards students who achieve passes at C grade and above in English, maths, sciences, modern languages and either history or geography. This is almost double last year’s average for English schools and a record for Gordano.
There is also a new record for best performers at the Portishead school with 57 pupils achieving eight or more A* and A grades, with 19 banking five A*s or more.
Some of the highest achievers include Amy Tang with 12 A*s and one A, and Amy Warrellow with 10 A*s and one A. Heather Bragg and Rob March achieved nine A*s among their grades and Megan Hicks and Connor Williams each racked up eight A*s with four and three A grades respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Gary Lewis said: “This has been a stunningly successful year for us with nearly 30 per cent A* and A grades.
“I am also pleased that our students have achieved well across the board and not just at the top. Although it is noticeable that there has been tough marking at the C/D borderline, especially in the core subjects, that seems to be part of the national picture.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 3 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 4 RNLI helm retires after nearly two decades of saving lives at sea
- 5 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 6 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 7 Portishead garden protected from development
- 8 Region's youth offending service praised by inspectors
- 9 Hundreds of North Somerset patients receive coronavirus vaccine
- 10 Clevedon re-sign former wicketkeeper Will Plummer from Weston ahead of 2021 season
“Overall this is a really strong set of results for year 11.”