Public meeting on academy switch
A PORTISHEAD parent is calling for Gordano School to delay its decision on whether or not to become an academy and has organised a public meeting to open a debate on the subject.
Gordano School announced it was considering applying for academy status in February and launched a two-month consultation period. But Mike Blower, of High Street, says the time is insufficient for parents to properly research the implications.
As a result, he has organised an open meeting at the Folk Hall in High Street on March 29 at 7.30pm to encourage parents to ask questions about their children’s futures.
He said: “Well-informed speakers from both sides of the debate will be present and I invite parents, pupils, members of the wider community, those for, those against, those undecided and especially those who, like myself, would like to know more, to join us.”
A consultation meeting conducted by the governors in February was attended by just 30 parents and Mr Blower says he fears the school is taking parents’ silence to mean consent.
You may also want to watch:
The school consultation period is now in phase two, which includes liaising with primary schools in the town, and special surgeries have been organised to allow parents to discuss the process with headteacher Gary Lewis and governors.
Mr Lewis addressed town councillors at the full town council meeting on March 9 where he volunteered information, answered questions and offered to attend a further meeting of councillors and residents.
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 2 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 3 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
- 4 Camera club wants new members to join
- 5 PICTURES: Nailsea farmers market birthday party
- 6 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes
- 7 Stone Roses songs to be recreated in Weston
- 8 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 9 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 10 'Incredible' Nailsea & Backwell RFC win first ever Bristol Combination Vase
Mr Blower added: “The Gordano decision is less than two weeks away and I suggest this is too soon, which is why I am asking that the school considers a delay.”