Pre-school reveals expansion plans
- Credit: Archant
A POPULAR pre-school in Backwell is appealing for donations so it can expand the building and activities it offers.
Meadowside Pre-school, which is based on the site of West Leigh Infant School, is fully subscribed and staff are looking to create more space so they can carry out separate activities with different aged children.
As well as morning and afternoon pre-school sessions, the staff have started breakfast and tea time clubs for pupils at West Leigh Infant School.
It also now caters for two-year-olds in the village who qualify for funded pre-school places, under the new Government initiative.
Speaking at Backwell Parish Council meeting on Thursday, director Catherine Nelson said: “We are victims of our own success - we’ve outgrown our building. We’ve been really well subscribed and we can’t take anymore children.
“We would like to improve our inside environment so we can provide lunch for the funded two year olds and a breakfast.
“We’d also like to provide an outside classroom. We want to extend the side of the building with a canopy to give us a separate environment.”
- 1 COURT RESULTS: Speeding woman, 71, banned from driving
- 2 Police warn drivers ahead of M5 fuel protests
- 3 The Hungry Caterpillar teaches Nailsea school about healthy eating
- 4 Firm's new depot at Avonmouth creates 10 jobs
- 5 'Unavoidable' delays push back pier-to-pier cycle way between Weston and Clevedon
- 6 Garden centre opens GOLF COURSE for shoppers
- 7 Cleeve CC seconds end barren run with morale boosting win
- 8 Clevedon Town expand coaching team with three new coaches
- 9 Somerset smasher Smeed sets up Vitality Blast success
- 10 Glastonbury Festival 2022: Our review of the Worthy return...
The pre-school has applied for a £2,000 grant from the parish council but is expecting the work to cost £3,500 plus VAT.
Catherine added: “We are a not-for-profit group and any money we make goes back into the business for the benefit of the children.” The parish council is considering a number of different grant requests before drawing up next year’s budget.