School chess team makes national EPSCA semi-finals
- Credit: Saint Joseph's primary
Primary school pupils from Portishead have made the semi-finals of a national chess competition.
St Joseph's Primary School, in Bristol Road, will compete in the English Primary Schools' Chess Association (EPSCA) regional finals in May.
The EPSCA has been running awards since 1967, and the primary's under-nine and under-11 teams competed in its national primary schools' chess championships in January.
A spokesman from the school said: "Well done to St Joseph's Chess Club.
"Both under-nine and under-11 teams won bronze medals in the EPSCA National Primary Schools' Chess Championships in the regional finals at St John's College, in Cardiff, on January 26.
You may also want to watch:
"The under-11 team qualified for the national semi-final of the competition, which will take place at Bristol Grammar School on May 2.
"Good luck, under-11s."
- 1 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 2 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 3 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 5 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 6 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 7 Ashton & Backwell begin new season with defeat at Keynsham
- 8 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 9 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 10 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage