School chess team makes national EPSCA semi-finals
- Credit: Saint Joseph's primary
Primary school pupils from Portishead have made the semi-finals of a national chess competition.
St Joseph's Primary School, in Bristol Road, will compete in the English Primary Schools' Chess Association (EPSCA) regional finals in May.
The EPSCA has been running awards since 1967, and the primary's under-nine and under-11 teams competed in its national primary schools' chess championships in January.
A spokesman from the school said: "Well done to St Joseph's Chess Club.
"Both under-nine and under-11 teams won bronze medals in the EPSCA National Primary Schools' Chess Championships in the regional finals at St John's College, in Cardiff, on January 26.
You may also want to watch:
"The under-11 team qualified for the national semi-final of the competition, which will take place at Bristol Grammar School on May 2.
"Good luck, under-11s."
- 1 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 2 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 3 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 4 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 7 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 8 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 9 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 10 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening