Pill pupils take part in poetry contest
- Credit: Supplied
Pill pupils have taken part in a petry competition.
Students at St Katherine’s School in Pill took part in a national poetry competition for 14-18-year-olds at The Leaf at Ham Green restaurant.
Poetry By Heart is a pioneering competition designed to help pupils learn and recite poems by heart by tasking them with memorising and reciting two poems chosen from the Poetry By Heart website - one from pre-1914 and one from post-1914.
Poems were read by pupils Cathi Howe, Lili Harvey, Jasmine Mahesan, Lucy Curtis, Esther Goucher, Aiden McCallum, Tara Hodder, Megan Hopkins and Tom Caffrey.
After much deliberation Jasmine was declared the winner by guest judge, poet Rosie Bailey.
You may also want to watch:
All proceeds from the competition were donated to Help for Heroes.
- 1 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening
- 2 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 3 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 4 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 5 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 6 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 7 Floral display helping to cheer up shoppers in Nailsea
- 8 How to order free Covid home tests
- 9 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 10 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred