Pill pupils take part in poetry contest
- Credit: Supplied
Pill pupils have taken part in a petry competition.
Students at St Katherine’s School in Pill took part in a national poetry competition for 14-18-year-olds at The Leaf at Ham Green restaurant.
Poetry By Heart is a pioneering competition designed to help pupils learn and recite poems by heart by tasking them with memorising and reciting two poems chosen from the Poetry By Heart website - one from pre-1914 and one from post-1914.
Poems were read by pupils Cathi Howe, Lili Harvey, Jasmine Mahesan, Lucy Curtis, Esther Goucher, Aiden McCallum, Tara Hodder, Megan Hopkins and Tom Caffrey.
After much deliberation Jasmine was declared the winner by guest judge, poet Rosie Bailey.
You may also want to watch:
All proceeds from the competition were donated to Help for Heroes.
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 Pretty character cottage in Yatton outskirts
- 5 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 6 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 7 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
- 8 From cleaning windows to playing for Ashton & Backwell - Coleman's story
- 9 Highland calf born for first time in five years at zoo
- 10 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village