New mulit-million-pound science block to be built at Churchill Academy
- Credit: Archant
A North Somerset school will build a multi-million-pound science block after it received Government funding.
Churchill Academy will receive £3.9million to build a new science and technology block which is due to be completed in 2018.
The new 14,000sqft building will boast 12 science laboratories and two food technology classrooms.
The school secured the funding through the Government’s Condition Improvement Fund (CIF), which is the only route academies can use to secure state funding.
The school was granted planning permission from North Somerset Council to build the two-storey complex in February.
You may also want to watch:
Churchill hoped to build a new science block last year, but it failed to secure support from the CIF.
But the school did receive more than £1million to build a new business and information technology facility in 2016 – and the project is due to be completed before the end of the school year.
- 1 Plans for housing on Backwell fields take step forward
- 2 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 3 Clevedon man to cycle 'own Tour De France' for breast cancer charity
- 4 Popular community centre café closes
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 Circus Zyair is coming to Weston-super-Mare
- 7 Valley Fest to go ahead with Texas as headliner
- 8 Hundreds take part in sponsored walk to raise money for charities
- 9 Events taking place across North Somerset
- 10 Clevedon School orders year groups to self-isolate after Covid outbreak
The school is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, and the science classrooms which are currently in use were at the heart of the original school campus back in 1957.
Headteacher Chris Hildrew said students deserve ‘state-of-the-art’ facilities to enhance their studies.
He added: “We are delighted to receive this funding in our diamond jubilee year.
“Our main building has served us well for 60 years, but the students of 2017 deserve better than to receive their education in a building designed and built for the students of 1957.”