Mums and dads go back to school for ‘master class’
- Credit: Archant
PARENTS are being invited back to school for the day to see what lessons are like for their children.
Nailsea School, in Mizzymead Road, is holding a master class for parents of year four, five and six students, so they can experience what learning is like in the 21st century.
Parents will become students for the day on June 19 and experience a range of subjects, activities and a school meal, exactly as their children do.
Students on the master class will be handed a mini-timetable when they arrive and each group will experience at least one core subject - English, maths and science - and a range of technology, art and humanities subjects.
Assistant headteacher, Trudy Jones, said: “This will give parents a real insight into how learning happens in our classrooms today.
“Sometimes parents can have an impression of school based on their experiences.
“We believe the experiences students have is different from what parents expect and we want parents of year four and five and six students to come in so they can see what it’s like.
- 1 Contemporary four-bedroom house with beautiful views
- 2 Bus companies to face Portishead residents at fourth meeting
- 3 World-renowned cider maker to host family open day next month
- 4 Woman dies after collision in Clevedon
- 5 Rural bus routes could get axed in proposals drawn up by First Bus
- 6 'Extreme heat' warning issued for Somerset
- 7 Pictures: Clevedon care home celebrates summer fete
- 8 New path will provide safer route to village school
- 9 Deal means Portishead to Bristol rail line will open in 2026
- 10 How this housing developer is switching fuels to cut carbon emissions
“This is the second year we’ve done it and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.
“Parents were amazed at how different things were and how much more fun learning is now. They are going to have three lessons and a break time so they can experience the food the children eat.
“They will also have a tutorial with all the teachers they have seen where they can ask any questions they have about learning.
“There will also be a teaching assistant available so they can find out how TAs support learning too.
“It’s brilliant. It’s for parents to be on the receiving end of their child’s learning experience.”
The master class is designed for parents who are currently thinking about which secondary school to send their children to. To book a place call 01275 852251.