MPs John Bercow and Liam Fox address Portishead pupils
- Credit: Archant
Politics has had a major impact on the news agenda in 2016 and High Down Junior School pupils in Portishead were given a taste of what it is like inside local and national Government.
Students visited the Houses of Parliament back in September and children in years five and six were last week treated to a Skype question and answer session with Speaker John Bercow MP.
He discussed everything from his day-to-day role trying to control MPs, through to Donald Trump’s presidential election win.
The junior school pupils were then visited by several Portishead town councillors. Cllrs Jean Lord, Sue Mason and David Oyns joined chairman Lesley Cottrell to talk about their roles and some of the biggest local issues.
Parliament week drew to a close with a visit from MP Dr Liam Fox who took questions from pupils.
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Ben Culverhouse said: “There has never been a more important time to engage young people in democracy and voting, and this has been a fantastic and enriching experience.”
- 1 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 2 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 3 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 4 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 7 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 8 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 9 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 10 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening