Mary Elton Primary School head bows out after nine years
- Credit: Archant
A headteacher has retired after nearly a decade in charge of a Clevedon primary school.
After beginning his teaching career 37 years ago, Owen James went on to spend nine years running Mary Elton Primary School in Holland Road and says he is proud of what he has achieved in that time.
During his career, Owen also spent six successful years at Crockerne Primary School in Pill where he earned his first headteacher role.
Although sad to be leaving, Owen is looking forward to being able to spend more time with his grandchildren during his retirement, as well as indulging in his love of drama with his wife.
He said: “I am very excited but I am going to miss everyone at Mary Elton.
“One of the best things about being a headteacher is you can be an enabler, helping people to achieve things. That is what I have loved most about being a headteacher.
“We have a great building, great grounds and have developed a good friendship with our Tanzanian partner school.”
- 1 Parking restrictions plaguing Clevedon residents' everyday lives
- 2 Plan for 2,800-home development would see 'Banwell Bypass' built
- 3 Portishead teachers WILL strike over workload dispute
- 4 Glastonbury 2022: Who is confirmed and how do I get tickets?
- 5 Cross-party support for Liam Fox's 'landmark' Downs Syndrome Bill
- 6 Sainsbury's propose 9,000 sq.ft North Somerset store
- 7 More than 2,500 new homes north of Banwell in Local Plan draft
- 8 WATCH: Stunning 40-yard 'goal of the season' for Clevedon Town earns praise from FIFA
- 9 Portishead teachers may strike due to long working hours
- 10 Clevedon rated as one of the most desirable places to live in the UK
Pupils also put on a flash mob dance on Owen’s last day.
Tickenham Primary School headteacher Dean Hudd will join as Mary Elton’s new principal on September 1.
Tickenham’s assistant headteacher Tristan Merriam and reception teacher Rebecca Underwood are taking his place as co-headteachers.