Mary Elton Primary School head bows out after nine years
- Credit: Archant
A headteacher has retired after nearly a decade in charge of a Clevedon primary school.
After beginning his teaching career 37 years ago, Owen James went on to spend nine years running Mary Elton Primary School in Holland Road and says he is proud of what he has achieved in that time.
During his career, Owen also spent six successful years at Crockerne Primary School in Pill where he earned his first headteacher role.
Although sad to be leaving, Owen is looking forward to being able to spend more time with his grandchildren during his retirement, as well as indulging in his love of drama with his wife.
He said: “I am very excited but I am going to miss everyone at Mary Elton.
“One of the best things about being a headteacher is you can be an enabler, helping people to achieve things. That is what I have loved most about being a headteacher.
“We have a great building, great grounds and have developed a good friendship with our Tanzanian partner school.”
- 1 First Bus and Stagecoach reps to face Portishead residents in meeting
- 2 Herd of model baby elephants complete 400-mile journey to Noah's Ark Zoo
- 3 North Somerset Council to approve historic bus improvement plan
- 4 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 5 Century-old family business opens new storage facility in Worle
- 6 Dual-site primary school rated good by inspectors
- 7 PICTURES: Yatton School Carnival 2022
- 8 New balls for North Somerset rugby club - from car giant Honda
- 9 Thousands of North Somerset homes could be abandoned by 2050s: Report
- 10 Fears Weston will be UK 'laughing stock' if See Monster delayed until September
Pupils also put on a flash mob dance on Owen’s last day.
Tickenham Primary School headteacher Dean Hudd will join as Mary Elton’s new principal on September 1.
Tickenham’s assistant headteacher Tristan Merriam and reception teacher Rebecca Underwood are taking his place as co-headteachers.