Gordano School opens a new construction facility
- Credit: Archant
A new school facility will help teachers educate the next generation of building experts.
Gordano School has teamed up with construction firm Willmott Dixon, who have sponsored and overseen the project.
The school in Portishead offers teaching in construction for students to achieve a BTEC qualification, but it was realised that new facilities were needed to help the pupils realise their potential.
It was therefore decided to convert an old toilet and store area into a construction classroom, which was opened on November 18.
Stuart Rossiter, Gordano’s assistant headteacher, said: “We are thrilled to finally have a bespoke construction classroom for these students.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d like to personally thank Willmott Dixon, and their subcontractors, Rydon, for all of their help with the project over the past few months.
“Willmott Dixon showed its support to Gordano School by signing up as a Gordano Partner, and it is fantastic to see its enthusiasm for assisting with school projects of this nature.”
- 1 How to order free Covid home tests
- 2 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 3 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 4 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 5 Nailsea Cricket Club start senior nets for new season
- 6 Nailsea's first virtual flower show winners announced
- 7 Special school expansion progress
- 8 Backwell boy raises more than £1k for Dementia UK
- 9 North Somerset and Somerset libraries reopen this week
The partnership between Willmott Dixon and Gordano saw the school draw up plans for the makeover, which the company part-funded.
Subcontractors Rydon carried out a lot of the work and has also donated some money which can be spent on the pupils.
Katie Nelmes, the school’s construction and DT teacher, added: “Each student in my class has now got the space to create their own stud wall within this new facility.
“The practical nature of this course demands a dedicated space in which we can learn more about these construction skills, and build up a practical project over a period of months.
“It’s great that we were able to re-model the unused space in this way.”