Gordano School opens a new construction facility
- Credit: Archant
A new school facility will help teachers educate the next generation of building experts.
Gordano School has teamed up with construction firm Willmott Dixon, who have sponsored and overseen the project.
The school in Portishead offers teaching in construction for students to achieve a BTEC qualification, but it was realised that new facilities were needed to help the pupils realise their potential.
It was therefore decided to convert an old toilet and store area into a construction classroom, which was opened on November 18.
Stuart Rossiter, Gordano’s assistant headteacher, said: “We are thrilled to finally have a bespoke construction classroom for these students.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d like to personally thank Willmott Dixon, and their subcontractors, Rydon, for all of their help with the project over the past few months.
“Willmott Dixon showed its support to Gordano School by signing up as a Gordano Partner, and it is fantastic to see its enthusiasm for assisting with school projects of this nature.”
- 1 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 2 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 3 Hinkley dredging is safe, say project leaders
- 4 Neighbourhood plan to go before council next month
- 5 Portishead Art Trail splash sculpture gets a refurb
- 6 Nailsea United fall to heavy defeat against Mendip Broadwalk
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Age UK looking for North Somerset volunteers
- 9 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 10 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
The partnership between Willmott Dixon and Gordano saw the school draw up plans for the makeover, which the company part-funded.
Subcontractors Rydon carried out a lot of the work and has also donated some money which can be spent on the pupils.
Katie Nelmes, the school’s construction and DT teacher, added: “Each student in my class has now got the space to create their own stud wall within this new facility.
“The practical nature of this course demands a dedicated space in which we can learn more about these construction skills, and build up a practical project over a period of months.
“It’s great that we were able to re-model the unused space in this way.”