‘Strong’ GCSE performance at Gordano School
- Credit: Archant
Portishead’s Gordano School has performed ‘strongly’ in GCSEs in the face of a ‘turbulent’ exams landscape, according to its headteacher.
Tom Inman is ‘pleased and proud’ of his students after some departments enjoyed a record-breaking results day today (Thursday).
Almost four out of five papers received a minimum of grade 4, with 26 per cent achieving coveted grades of 9-7.
And 69 per cent of pupils achieved five 9-4 grades including English and maths, deemed the gold standard required to tackle A-levels – with many pupils returning next month to start their next batch of qualifications.
Mr Inman said: “I’m really pleased; so many students have done so well. It is a notoriously turbulent time in GCSE exams at the moment and the exams context nationally, so we’re delighted the students have done so well.
You may also want to watch:
“They’ve performed really strongly across all subjects. Not only have we got a really significant crop of the new grade 9s, we’ve got students who have come in at levels which wouldn’t expect those top grades have done really well for themselves.
“We take as much pride in that as the students who have done really well.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Dad drove family 270 miles for kebab before crashing on M5
- 3 Man due in court after cars stolen in burglary
- 4 Carpenter remembers Clevedon's Bristol Combination Vase triumph
- 5 Portishead Lake Grounds gates to be installed this week
- 6 North Somerset Council urges businesses to apply for grant funding
- 7 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 8 Mental health services to help people cope in lockdown
- 9 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 10 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
“There’s a strong sigh of relief to have another set of strong results; we’ve got record results in some parts of the school despite the new exams regime.”
Ben Holmes was one of the school’s top performers, achieving top marks in most subjects.
He said: “I’m absolutely over the moon, I got grade 9s in everything except maths and physics, which I got 8s in. I just can’t believe it.
“When I opened my envelope, I hadn’t dreamt of getting one 9, let alone seven of them so I’m absolutely spellbound.
“Last night, there was a mixture of nerves and excitement. I was excited to see what grades I got, but obviously there were nerves because they are important exams.
“I’m shocked and so pleased.”
Verity Gardner was also among the highest-achieving pupils, receiving five grade 9s.
She said: “I was a bit jet-lagged last night so I slept quite well, but coming in this morning was nerve-racking.
“When I finally opened the envelope it was a mixture of happiness and relief.”