‘Stunning’ A-level successes at Gordano School
- Credit: Archant
Portishead’s Gordano School has celebrated ‘excellent’ A-level results today (Thursday), as students enjoyed ‘stunning success’.
Pupils bid a final farewell to the school, collecting their exam scores before moving on to university or the world of work.
Almost three quarters of the school's grades were C and above, while 21 per cent of grades were A* or A - both down on last year's results.
The overall pass rate was 99 per cent - a small improvement on 2018.
Four students - Josh Davis, Jemma Harford, Roseanna Marsh and Abby Radcliffe - earned A* grades across the board, with 14 pupils achieving three As or better.
You may also want to watch:
Jemma, who will study at Exeter University in the autumn, said: "I'm really pleased. I did work hard but I wasn't expecting such a good outcome in return."
Headteacher Tom Inman is 'proud' of the school's 'excellent' results.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Dad drove family 270 miles for kebab before crashing on M5
- 3 Man due in court after cars stolen in burglary
- 4 Portishead Lake Grounds gates to be installed this week
- 5 Carpenter remembers Clevedon's Bristol Combination Vase triumph
- 6 Portishead Town's Trueman cancer diagnosis prompts £50,000 fundraising initiative
- 7 Mental health services to help people cope in lockdown
- 8 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 9 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 10 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
He said: "We have seen some stunning individual successes, but, as a truly comprehensive sixth form, I am delighted to see students succeed so well across the range of abilities and in such a diverse range of subjects, meaning that we have again seen students make greater progress at Gordano than on average across the country.
"At Gordano we pride ourselves on the personal development of our students and their wider preparation for later life.
"I would never want it said results are the only thing that matters in education but it is really good to see our students thrive in their public exams, opening doors to their next steps.
"We wish a wonderful cohort every success and happiness in their exciting futures."