Gordano looks to the future
- Credit: Archant
With the school year coming to an end, it is understandable that pupils in Portishead have been thinking about their futures.
Gordano School held a five-day Futures Week for their year 12 pupils before the summer holidays began.
Representatives from businesses and universities were invited in to brief the pupils about what is on offer once they leave the school.
Students were able to gain insight from firms about skill sets required for different jobs, apprenticeships, interview skills plus CVs and covering letters.
A total of 18 national and international corporations, six colleges and six universities took part in the careers event.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Gazzard, from BT Internet, said: “I was hugely impressed by the commitment, teamwork, analysis, time-management and communication skills of the pupils. They are clearly developing skills that make them eminently employable.”
Jeanne Fairs, head of sixth form at Gordano School, said: “We have had so many complimentary comments from students and visiting speakers following this year’s highly successful Futures Week.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 3 Portishead garden protected from development
- 4 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 5 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 6 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 7 Clevedon re-sign former wicketkeeper Will Plummer from Weston ahead of 2021 season
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Murray named player of month at Clevedon
- 10 Portishead GP reminds people to wait for coronavirus vaccine call
“We are particularly indebted to Aon Hewitt, Lloyds Banking Group, Nationwide Building Society and EY accountants for delivering employability workshops and to the University of Aberystwyth for their session on University admissions, including interview techniques.”
Teachers hope the information will help the students when they return to school in September for their final year.