Gordano looks to the future
- Credit: Archant
With the school year coming to an end, it is understandable that pupils in Portishead have been thinking about their futures.
Gordano School held a five-day Futures Week for their year 12 pupils before the summer holidays began.
Representatives from businesses and universities were invited in to brief the pupils about what is on offer once they leave the school.
Students were able to gain insight from firms about skill sets required for different jobs, apprenticeships, interview skills plus CVs and covering letters.
A total of 18 national and international corporations, six colleges and six universities took part in the careers event.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Gazzard, from BT Internet, said: “I was hugely impressed by the commitment, teamwork, analysis, time-management and communication skills of the pupils. They are clearly developing skills that make them eminently employable.”
Jeanne Fairs, head of sixth form at Gordano School, said: “We have had so many complimentary comments from students and visiting speakers following this year’s highly successful Futures Week.
- 1 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 2 North Somerset restaurants reopening outside next week
- 3 Nailsea's first virtual flower show winners announced
- 4 Backwell boy raises more than £1k for Dementia UK
- 5 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 6 Modern three-bedroom eco house with lovely gardens
- 7 Plan to cut traffic on rural roads
- 8 North Somerset antisocial behaviour orders come into force
- 9 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'
- 10 FA publish updated grassroots football guidance
“We are particularly indebted to Aon Hewitt, Lloyds Banking Group, Nationwide Building Society and EY accountants for delivering employability workshops and to the University of Aberystwyth for their session on University admissions, including interview techniques.”
Teachers hope the information will help the students when they return to school in September for their final year.