Gordano looks to the future
- Credit: Archant
With the school year coming to an end, it is understandable that pupils in Portishead have been thinking about their futures.
Gordano School held a five-day Futures Week for their year 12 pupils before the summer holidays began.
Representatives from businesses and universities were invited in to brief the pupils about what is on offer once they leave the school.
Students were able to gain insight from firms about skill sets required for different jobs, apprenticeships, interview skills plus CVs and covering letters.
A total of 18 national and international corporations, six colleges and six universities took part in the careers event.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Gazzard, from BT Internet, said: “I was hugely impressed by the commitment, teamwork, analysis, time-management and communication skills of the pupils. They are clearly developing skills that make them eminently employable.”
Jeanne Fairs, head of sixth form at Gordano School, said: “We have had so many complimentary comments from students and visiting speakers following this year’s highly successful Futures Week.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 3 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 6 PICTURES: Hot air balloons take flight over Bristol at Fiesta Fortnight launch
- 7 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 8 WIN: Tickets to The Courier at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Live music returns to village this weekend
“We are particularly indebted to Aon Hewitt, Lloyds Banking Group, Nationwide Building Society and EY accountants for delivering employability workshops and to the University of Aberystwyth for their session on University admissions, including interview techniques.”
Teachers hope the information will help the students when they return to school in September for their final year.