Golfer Chris Wood makes students’ day
FUTURE professional golfers from Backwell School returned triumphant from the Avon School’s Championships clutching a trio of trophies.
Callum Hannay, Jack Pring and Charlie Carpenter, aged 16 and Noah Hessey, aged 17, won the team, net and gross categories in the competition, at Long Ashton Golf club.
It has been almost a decade since the school last won the honours, when current European Tour player Chris Wood was a prominent member of the team.
The school thought it fitting that the current team’s hero was on hand to present them with their awards.
Callum clinched the individual contest with a round of 69, achieving two birdies to beat his closest rival by two shots.
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Chris Budd said he was ‘extremely proud’ of the players’ achievements.
He said: “The boys are not only hugely talented, but also possess the mental approach and determination to potentially have exciting futures in the game and could well follow in the footsteps of Chris Wood.”
- 1 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 2 North Somerset restaurants reopening outside next week
- 3 Nailsea's first virtual flower show winners announced
- 4 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 5 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'
- 6 Plan to cut traffic on rural roads
- 7 Modern three-bedroom eco house with lovely gardens
- 8 North Somerset antisocial behaviour orders come into force
- 9 Backwell boy raises more than £1k for Dementia UK
- 10 Housing group contributes £400,000 for North Somerset rugby club revamp
The school hopes the success will encourage existing students to take up the game.
The school also boasts Gloucestershire County Cricket Club player Chris Dent and Bristol City’s Danny Ball and Chris Abbott as former pupils.