Golfer Chris Wood makes students’ day
FUTURE professional golfers from Backwell School returned triumphant from the Avon School’s Championships clutching a trio of trophies.
Callum Hannay, Jack Pring and Charlie Carpenter, aged 16 and Noah Hessey, aged 17, won the team, net and gross categories in the competition, at Long Ashton Golf club.
It has been almost a decade since the school last won the honours, when current European Tour player Chris Wood was a prominent member of the team.
The school thought it fitting that the current team’s hero was on hand to present them with their awards.
Callum clinched the individual contest with a round of 69, achieving two birdies to beat his closest rival by two shots.
Teacher Chris Budd said he was ‘extremely proud’ of the players’ achievements.
He said: “The boys are not only hugely talented, but also possess the mental approach and determination to potentially have exciting futures in the game and could well follow in the footsteps of Chris Wood.”
- 1 North Somerset flytipper pays £1,600 after dumping bathtub
- 2 Construction finally begins for special educational needs school
- 3 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 4 Two more leave Portishead Town Council over 'in-person' controversy
- 5 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
- 6 Cadbury House to host open air cinema for the summer
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Double disappointment for Cleeve CC
- 9 Superb, high-spec house in a Nailsea hotspot
- 10 Stunning century sees Barrow Gurney II secure unlikely win
The school hopes the success will encourage existing students to take up the game.
The school also boasts Gloucestershire County Cricket Club player Chris Dent and Bristol City’s Danny Ball and Chris Abbott as former pupils.