Golfer Chris Wood makes students’ day
FUTURE professional golfers from Backwell School returned triumphant from the Avon School’s Championships clutching a trio of trophies.
Callum Hannay, Jack Pring and Charlie Carpenter, aged 16 and Noah Hessey, aged 17, won the team, net and gross categories in the competition, at Long Ashton Golf club.
It has been almost a decade since the school last won the honours, when current European Tour player Chris Wood was a prominent member of the team.
The school thought it fitting that the current team’s hero was on hand to present them with their awards.
Callum clinched the individual contest with a round of 69, achieving two birdies to beat his closest rival by two shots.
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Chris Budd said he was ‘extremely proud’ of the players’ achievements.
He said: “The boys are not only hugely talented, but also possess the mental approach and determination to potentially have exciting futures in the game and could well follow in the footsteps of Chris Wood.”
- 1 RNLI helm retires after nearly two decades of saving lives at sea
- 2 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 3 Storyboat 700+ sets sail in Portishead for 2021
- 4 Portishead Lake Grounds gates to be installed this week
- 5 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 6 Clevedon School launches pop-up shop to support low income families
- 7 Clevedon strengthen squad with signing of Gloucestershire duo Higgins and Warner
- 8 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 9 Hundreds of North Somerset patients receive coronavirus vaccine
- 10 Portishead GP reminds people to wait for coronavirus vaccine call
The school hopes the success will encourage existing students to take up the game.
The school also boasts Gloucestershire County Cricket Club player Chris Dent and Bristol City’s Danny Ball and Chris Abbott as former pupils.