GCSE results: Backwell School celebrates students’ successes
- Credit: Archant
Backwell is celebrating after students achieved impressive GCSE results.
This year, 75 per cent of students achieved a grade 4 or above in English and maths, while 55 per cent received a grade 5 or higher in both subjects.
Overall, 70 per cent of students achieved five grade 4 scores or above, including maths and English, and 41 per cent attained the challenging combination of higher passes which earns them the English baccalaureate.
Headteacher Jon Nunes said: "Our year 11 students have worked very hard over the past two years, and they should be very proud of what they have achieved.
"I would also like to thank the dedication and skills of the teachers who have been teaching them.
You may also want to watch:
"GCSE results are the start of these young people's futures and I wish them the very best in whichever path they choose to take."
George Taylor achieved eight grade 9s, one grade 8 and one grade 7.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 3 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 4 RNLI helm retires after nearly two decades of saving lives at sea
- 5 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 6 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 7 Region's youth offending service praised by inspectors
- 8 Portishead garden protected from development
- 9 Hundreds of North Somerset patients receive coronavirus vaccine
- 10 Portishead GP reminds people to wait for coronavirus vaccine call
He said: "I am feeling overwhelmed. I worked really hard but did not expect these results."
Argentine Person was also delighted to achieve four grade 9s, one grade 7 and one grade 6 and made the most progress in the year group.
She said: "I got my dad to look at the results first as I was too nervous.
"The teachers were great at supporting me and I am really happy today."
She is excited to continue at Backwell sixth form next year studying A-levels in physics, maths, chemistry and further maths.