GCSE results: Backwell School teachers celebrate students’ ‘immense’ progress
- Credit: Archant
Backwell School is celebrating another fantastic set of GCSE results today (Thursday) after 74 per cent of pupils achieved at least five A*-C grades.
The results, which include the core subjects of English and Maths, are the same as last year’s figures.
A total of 35 students gained eight or more A* or A grades, while 76 per cent of year 11 students gained A*-C grades in English and Maths.
Headteacher Julian Baldwin, who retired at the end of this school year, said everyone at the school was incredibly proud of the students.
Mr Baldwin said: “The pupils are a credit to the school and themselves in so many ways.”
You may also want to watch:
Star students included Huw Evans, who achieved 12 A* grades and one A grade, Luke Barrett and Tom Slade, who both achieved 11 A* grades and two A grades, and Esther Leong and Will Cattermole, who both achieved nine A* grades and two A grades.
Huw told the Times he would be staying on at Backwell to study A-levels in history, maths, economics and further maths in September.
- 1 How to order free Covid home tests
- 2 Special school expansion progress
- 3 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 4 Road to Wimbledon chance for North Somerset youngsters
- 5 Health shop stocks fruit and vegetables free from plastic packaging
- 6 Reopening: Thousands booked as hairdressers reopen
- 7 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 8 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
- 9 Your Paper, Your Voice – we’re here to listen and act
- 10 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
He said: “I am a little bit surprised, but I am so happy.
“It is such an amazing feeling when you have worked for so long and it seems like this day would never come. All the hard work has paid off.”
The school also praised students who had made huge progress since joining the school as year seven pupils.
Mr Baldwin said: “As a comprehensive school we are celebrating every single student who has achieved their best.
“The progress students such as Justine Segar, Anna Bassett and Sara Flower have made since joining Backwell has been immense.”
* For the full round-up of North Somerset’s GCSE results, pick up a copy of next week’s Times.