Fundraisers to buy iPads for school
- Credit: Archant
FAMILIES and staff from Wraxall Primary School have launched a new fundraising drive to raise money for class iPads.
The Friends of Wraxall School Association (FWSA) raised more than £1,700 at a summer fair to kick-start the appeal.
The group, which raises funds for school equipment, already helped to raise £4,500 to buy and install iPads in each class.
Members are now hoping to collect between £12,000 and £24,000 to pay for 15-30 of the gadgets which can be hired out for class use.
Acting headteacher Tamsin Hayward, said: “iPads can be used as a great presentation tool for whole class activities but they also offer opportunities for children to access the curriculum individually in a variety of ways.
You may also want to watch:
“There are so many different apps we can use. So far the children have edited their own miniature movies. We’d never replace the other wonderful resources we have like books and writing tools but it’s just another way of learning that comes alongside more traditional methods.”
The school now wants to buy 15 or 30 iPads so each class can book them out for pupils to use.
- 1 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 2 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 3 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 4 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 5 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 6 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 7 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
- 8 'Amazing atmosphere' at return of Clevedon Parkrun
- 9 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 10 Protestors take to the streets against Bristol Airport
The FWSA already has more fundraising activities lined up to support the cause including a barbecue, cake sales, a movie night and a Christmas fair.
Vicky Chapman, vice chair of the FWSA, said: “The support the school has given us is amazing.
“We raised £22,000 for the playing field, but the drive from the community and the school has just continued.
“I thought after the playing field people wouldn’t want to give anymore but it’s been the opposite.
“The support we’ve had has been phenomenal.”
Anyone interested in donating to the cause or helping out with fundraising can email Vicky at email@example.com