Driving qualification first for Nailsea School
NAILSEA teens will be the first in England to have the chance to gain an educational qualification while learning how to drive safely.
Nailsea School is set to launch the country’s first ever BTEC qualification in Driving and Driver Education – a course which is expected to be copied by schools across England.
It has been devised by directors of the Nailsea-based driving school, Driving Force Training, Ian Littlefield and Mike Williams, with the help of Nailsea School’s assistant head of sixth form, Phil Duncan.
The course will be available to pupils aged over 16 and is aimed at emphasising the importance of not only being a safe driver but also a safe passenger.
With crashes being the number one cause of deaths in young people and statistics showing many crashes involving young people happen when they are in a car as a group, it is hoped the course will make a big difference in educating pupils about safe driving.
You may also want to watch:
Nailsea School headteacher David New said: “This is a fantastic innovation for our students and the community.
“This part of the curriculum could save lives and make our community safer.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 EE switches on super-fast 5G in Portishead
- 3 School offering transport to vaccination appointments
- 4 Portishead garden protected from development
- 5 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 6 Police thank Portishead community after call leads to arrests for vehicle crime
- 7 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 8 Clevedon re-sign former wicketkeeper Will Plummer from Weston ahead of 2021 season
- 9 Hundreds of North Somerset patients receive coronavirus vaccine
- 10 Portishead GP reminds people to wait for coronavirus vaccine call
“It will be copied all over the country now we have made it possible by developing this qualification.”
During the course, students will get used to driving with their friends and will assess each other’s performance as a driver and passenger. They will also learn about good driving practices, car maintenance and driving hazards, as well as the consequences of speeding and driving under the influence of drink or drugs.