Driving qualification first for Nailsea School
NAILSEA teens will be the first in England to have the chance to gain an educational qualification while learning how to drive safely.
Nailsea School is set to launch the country’s first ever BTEC qualification in Driving and Driver Education – a course which is expected to be copied by schools across England.
It has been devised by directors of the Nailsea-based driving school, Driving Force Training, Ian Littlefield and Mike Williams, with the help of Nailsea School’s assistant head of sixth form, Phil Duncan.
The course will be available to pupils aged over 16 and is aimed at emphasising the importance of not only being a safe driver but also a safe passenger.
With crashes being the number one cause of deaths in young people and statistics showing many crashes involving young people happen when they are in a car as a group, it is hoped the course will make a big difference in educating pupils about safe driving.
You may also want to watch:
Nailsea School headteacher David New said: “This is a fantastic innovation for our students and the community.
“This part of the curriculum could save lives and make our community safer.
- 1 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 2 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 3 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 4 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 5 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 6 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 7 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 8 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 10 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
“It will be copied all over the country now we have made it possible by developing this qualification.”
During the course, students will get used to driving with their friends and will assess each other’s performance as a driver and passenger. They will also learn about good driving practices, car maintenance and driving hazards, as well as the consequences of speeding and driving under the influence of drink or drugs.