Bristol City book Wembley spot thanks to Gordano School footballers
- Credit: Archant
Bristol City supporters have not had much to cheer about in recent weeks, but thanks to Portishead girls they now have a trip to Wembley to look forward too.
Gordano School’s under-13s six-a-side team are officially the best team for their age group in the south and have represented Bristol City very successfully.
They beat 15 other school sides to qualify for the regional finals – and with it have the honour of representing the Robins.
Under the City name they saw off Bristol Rovers, Cardiff, Newport, Swindon, Yeovil, Exeter and Plymouth to make the southern semi-finals.
A 2-1 victory over Brentford saw them face off Luton Town in the final on March 1 and they secured a 2-0 win to see them be crowned the best side in the south of England.
You may also want to watch:
The girls’ prize is to face Shrewsbury, otherwise known as Thomas Telford School, at Wembley on April 2 – the same day the men’s senior sides of Coventry City and Oxford United face each other in the EFL Trophy final.
Football coach, Justin Lau, was full of praise for the team and said: “The girls have been magnificent all season and can look forward to a unique experience playing at Wembley.
- 1 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 3 Funding ensures children benefit from healthy food and holiday clubs this summer
- 4 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 5 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 6 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 7 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 8 Sections of historic Portishead railway line to be reused for project
- 9 PICTURES: Inside Clevedon Pier's Glass Box Cafe
- 10 Nailsea pub crowned best in South West
“They are a very special group of individuals who never know when they’re beaten.
“To reach a third national final in two years is a great achievement and hopefully we can go one better this season.
“We, as a group never stopped believing and the girls were exceptional in both games in the semi-final and final.
“Let’s hope we can carry this form on for one more game.”