Bristol City book Wembley spot thanks to Gordano School footballers
- Credit: Archant
Bristol City supporters have not had much to cheer about in recent weeks, but thanks to Portishead girls they now have a trip to Wembley to look forward too.
Gordano School’s under-13s six-a-side team are officially the best team for their age group in the south and have represented Bristol City very successfully.
They beat 15 other school sides to qualify for the regional finals – and with it have the honour of representing the Robins.
Under the City name they saw off Bristol Rovers, Cardiff, Newport, Swindon, Yeovil, Exeter and Plymouth to make the southern semi-finals.
A 2-1 victory over Brentford saw them face off Luton Town in the final on March 1 and they secured a 2-0 win to see them be crowned the best side in the south of England.
You may also want to watch:
The girls’ prize is to face Shrewsbury, otherwise known as Thomas Telford School, at Wembley on April 2 – the same day the men’s senior sides of Coventry City and Oxford United face each other in the EFL Trophy final.
Football coach, Justin Lau, was full of praise for the team and said: “The girls have been magnificent all season and can look forward to a unique experience playing at Wembley.
- 1 Dad drove family 270 miles for kebab before crashing on M5
- 2 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 3 Man due in court after cars stolen in burglary
- 4 Portishead Lake Grounds gates to be installed this week
- 5 Carpenter remembers Clevedon's Bristol Combination Vase triumph
- 6 Huge country house in historic setting, with views and a pool
- 7 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 8 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 9 Volunteers launch website for Trendlewood Park
- 10 Mental health services to help people cope in lockdown
“They are a very special group of individuals who never know when they’re beaten.
“To reach a third national final in two years is a great achievement and hopefully we can go one better this season.
“We, as a group never stopped believing and the girls were exceptional in both games in the semi-final and final.
“Let’s hope we can carry this form on for one more game.”