Backwell School student wins scholarship to help with engineering studies
- Credit: Andrew Wiard
A student who wants to become an engineer has been given a scholarship to help her in her studies.
Chloe Hayden, a year 12 student at Backwell School, became interested in aeronautical engineering during a taster day, which involved building and designing model aeroplanes.
She applied for the Arkwright Scholarship, which is given to 16-year-olds following a rigorous selection process.
Chloe had to submit an entry form, take part in an aptitude test and pass an interview.
She has been given £300 a year to help with a A-level studies in maths, geography and physics.
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Gregory Brees who helped her with the application said: “Myself and Ms Thorn, as her DT teachers, have supported her but this is all down to Chloe’s hard work and dedication.”
Chloe collected the award at a presentation evening in London.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 10 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week