GCSE results: Backwell headteacher praises ‘fantastic progress’
- Credit: Archant
Backwell School has hailed ‘excellent’ GCSE results today (Thursday), with the vast majority passing their English and maths exams.
More than four out of five pupils (82 per cent) achieved grade 4 or above in English and maths, while 66 per cent achieved level 5 or better.
Three quarters of students (78 per cent) earned five A*-C grades including English and maths, and the class of 2017 achieved 27 coveted grade 9s.
Headteacher Jon Nunes told the Times he is ‘extremely proud’ of the students.
He said: “They have made fantastic progress over their five years with us, a great example being Proby Koskandawala.
You may also want to watch:
“Proby’s final GCSE results were a collective 20 grades higher than expected – meaning that she averaged over two grades higher per subject than her targets – a truly incredible achievement.”
Aspiring lawyer Jemma Mayler received the best possible grades, earning nine A*s and three grade 9s – plus an A* in creative writing A-level which she studied for in her own time.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 3 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 6 PICTURES: Hot air balloons take flight over Bristol at Fiesta Fortnight launch
- 7 WIN: Tickets to The Courier at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 8 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Live music returns to village this weekend
She said: “I feel really great. I wanted to do this and I worked really hard. I owe a lot of it to my family who have helped me so much.
“The teaching style has been incredible. They have been such a support to me and they even marked my extra work.”
Joel Blakey’s hard work was rewarded with nine grades at A or better, plus a 7, 8 and 9.
He said: “I am very delighted. Backwell has been a fantastic place and the things you get outside of lessons have really helped going into exams.”