Donations flood in for family made homeless by fire
- Credit: Archant
Generous Nailsea residents raised hundreds of pounds within hours to help a family whose house was devastated by a fire.
The fire ravaged the home of Mamma Dausi who is supported by the charity Hope for Life Katanga, which was set up by Mark and Megan Walters from Nailsea.
The family-of-nine, who live in the Katanga slum, lost nearly everything in the blaze on September 21.
Just hours after the fire, supporters began sending donations to help the family who have now received new beds, food, cooking utensils, school uniforms and money to enable Mamma Dausi to restart her business.
More than 80 per cent of the donations received were from people living in Nailsea.
You may also want to watch:
Hope For Life Katanga is also housing the family in a spare building until they can find a new home.
Mark Walters, chair of trustees with the charity, said: “We want to give a big thanks to those who were able to respond quickly, to donate and give support to this family after such a tragic incident.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 4 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Special school expansion progress
- 7 North Somerset restaurants reopen outside this week
- 8 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 9 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 10 Backwell boy raises more than £1k for Dementia UK
“It is not uncommon for individuals to be seriously injured or even die as a result of a similar fire but thankfully, on this occasion, there were no injuries.”