Dog rescued from freezing water
A DOG was rescued by firefighters this morning (Fri) after it plunged into freezing water in Portbury.
Clifford was out on a walk with his owner in Wharf Lane at about 10.20am when he ran on to a frozen pond and fell through the ice.
His owner acted quickly and called 999 to ask for help from the fire service, which sent crews from Portishead and Bedminster to the scene.
Firefighters wearing dry suits broke the ice on the pond and waded out to the dog, with the aid of a rescue sled, before bringing him back to dry land.
Cliff is not thought to have been injured during the incident, despite being in the water for 45 minutes, but his owner was due to take him to a veterinary surgery to have him checked over.
You may also want to watch:
In the run-up to the weekend, when more severe weather is predicted across North Somerset, Avon Fire and Rescue Service is keen emphasise the dangers of walking on frozen ponds and lakes.
Dog owners whose animals may run on to frozen ice are urged not to follow them but call 999 and ask for the fire service if the animals get into difficulty.
- 1 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 3 Garden waste service disrupted due to 'ongoing crew shortages'
- 4 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 5 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 6 PICTURES: Inside Clevedon Pier's Glass Box Cafe
- 7 Nailsea pub crowned best in South West
- 8 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 9 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 10 Legal action starts to remove Portishead traveller camp