Dog alerts owners to cottage blaze
A DOG alerted its owners to a fire at their home in Portishead in the early hours of the morning.
A fire broke out at a cottage in Pinecroft, with two fire engines from Portishead station and one from Avonmouth called at about 1.17am.
Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze, which had taken hold of the roof of the cottage, using two high pressure hose reels and a 45mm jet.
They also stripped away several roof tiles to access the fire and make sure it was put out.
A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue said it is thought the fire started accidentally in one of the cottage’s bedrooms where there was a wood burning stove.
You may also want to watch:
The couple who lived in the house, which was badly damaged in the blaze, were alerted to the fire by their dog. They were then able to leave the cottage and dial 999.
The Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service were also on hand after the fire to offer advice and support to the residents.
- 1 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 2 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 3 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 4 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 5 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 6 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 7 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 8 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 9 Clevedon return to top of WEPL table with win over Lansdown
- 10 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse