Cycle challenge to support efforts to find a cure
A PORTISHEAD businessman is preparing to cycle to Paris to raise money for charity.
Damien Rylett who lives in The Vale hopes to raise �2,500 for The Jennifer Trust, a charity which supports families affected by the rare debilitating condition Spinular Muscular Atrophy (SMA), which affects nerve cells in the spinal cord.
The father-of-three, who runs a financial services business, said: “I took up road cycling in September with the aim of staying fit and trim and it hasn’t taken me long to take on my first challenge with a view to raising money for a cause that is dear to my heart.”
Damien’s two eldest sons have grown up with friends Archie, eight and six-year-old Scarlett, who are affected by SMA.
Damien added: “It breaks my heart to see Archie and Scarlett struggling to get around when my boys and other children of the same age are running around participating in sports and leading a normal life.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to do all I can to raise money for the trust which hopefully will one day find a cure for this rare and devastating condition and I hope members of the Portishead community will supoort me.”
On April 11, Damien will be cycling from Bexley in East London to Paris, over three-and-a-half days, covering 300 miles. Having undergone knee surgery within the past 18 months and having suffered with neck and back injuries in recent years, he says it is going to be a huge challenge.
- 1 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 2 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 3 Conservative named as Avon and Somerset police and crime commissioner
- 4 Boy, 17, 'with machete' arrested in village
- 5 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected
- 6 Nailsea & Backwell enjoy return to rugby action
- 7 May 17: Museums gear up to reopen in North Somerset next week
- 8 Yatton Bowling Club getting more youngsters involved
- 9 May 17: What can't open when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 10 LOCAL ELECTIONS: Who you can vote for in the by-election tomorrow
To support Damien in his quest to raise funds for the Jennifer Trust, visit his donation page at http://www.jtsma.org.uk/Damien%20Rylett