Cycle challenge to support efforts to find a cure
A PORTISHEAD businessman is preparing to cycle to Paris to raise money for charity.
Damien Rylett who lives in The Vale hopes to raise �2,500 for The Jennifer Trust, a charity which supports families affected by the rare debilitating condition Spinular Muscular Atrophy (SMA), which affects nerve cells in the spinal cord.
The father-of-three, who runs a financial services business, said: “I took up road cycling in September with the aim of staying fit and trim and it hasn’t taken me long to take on my first challenge with a view to raising money for a cause that is dear to my heart.”
Damien’s two eldest sons have grown up with friends Archie, eight and six-year-old Scarlett, who are affected by SMA.
Damien added: “It breaks my heart to see Archie and Scarlett struggling to get around when my boys and other children of the same age are running around participating in sports and leading a normal life.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to do all I can to raise money for the trust which hopefully will one day find a cure for this rare and devastating condition and I hope members of the Portishead community will supoort me.”
On April 11, Damien will be cycling from Bexley in East London to Paris, over three-and-a-half days, covering 300 miles. Having undergone knee surgery within the past 18 months and having suffered with neck and back injuries in recent years, he says it is going to be a huge challenge.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 3 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 6 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 7 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 8 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 PICTURES: Hot air balloons take flight over Bristol at Fiesta Fortnight launch
To support Damien in his quest to raise funds for the Jennifer Trust, visit his donation page at http://www.jtsma.org.uk/Damien%20Rylett