Campsite owner avoids jail after guest suffers carbon monoxide poisoning
- Credit: Archant
A campsite owner has avoided prison after incorrectly installing a gas water heater which nearly killed a guest by carbon monoxide poisoning.
Stephen Paul Longden, aged 47, the owner of Mendip View Camping in Winford, pleaded guilty to an offence under health and safety legislation which prohibits installation of gas appliances by anyone who is not registered.
The heater was discovered in a shower block after a man suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning.
Mr Longden was handed a six-month suspended prison sentence and 200 hours of unpaid work at North Somerset Courthouse on October 16 after admitting to fitting the water heater. He was also ordered to pay £6,550 in costs to North Somerset Council.
His victim told the court he had suicidal thoughts after the incident and he still suffers from anxiety attacks.
You may also want to watch:
In sentencing, it was said the defendant had shown ‘wilful blindness to the risk’, but ‘Mr Longden was genuinely remorseful for the incident’.
- 1 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 2 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 5 School girls creates Christmas cards for charity
- 6 Business in Kenn nominated for prestigious Business Leader Awards
- 7 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 8 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 9 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 10 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon