Trio sentenced over care home abuse
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
CARE workers caught on camera roughly handling and verbally abusing an elderly woman at a Wraxall home were sentenced at Bristol Crown Court today (Fri).
The men were caught when the woman’s son put a hidden camera in her room at Granary Care Centre in Lodge Lane.
The court saw ‘harrowing’ footage of Gladys Wright being mistreated by people paid to look after her during night shifts in 2012.
Tomasz Gidaszewski, aged 30, of Biddisham Close in Nailsea, was sentenced to a community order and required to undertake 180 hours of unpaid work after pleading guilty to one count of ill-treating or wilfully-neglecting a person who lacks capacity.
Janusz Salnikow, aged 25, of Greenway Park in Bristol, pleaded guilty to three counts of ill-treatment or wilful neglect and was sentenced to two months in prison, suspended for 18 months, and 200 hours of unpaid work.
Daniel Baynes, aged 25, of Vineyards in Bath, was sentenced to three months in prison for three counts of ill-treatment and wilful neglect and one month’s imprisonment for theft.
Mrs Wright, aged 79, suffered from severe dementia and was placed in the care home because her family could no longer care for her.
- 1 Construction training centre opens in Portishead
- 2 M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- 3 Taxpayers paid £60k for Liam Fox's failed bid for WTO job: Reports
- 4 Appeal launched to save town's Christmas light displays
- 5 Portishead-Bristol bus plan would save £100 MILLION, campaigner claims
- 6 Geocaching added to Nailsea Heritage Trail
- 7 Martin Kemp to play 1980s tunes in Weston this weekend
- 8 New Clevedon charity is helping to create the scientists of the future
- 9 WIN: Tickets to Olivier Award-winning play screening in Clevedon
- 10 Legal challenge over plans to dump dredging waste off Portishead
To find out more read the North Somerset Times this week.