Trio sentenced over care home abuse
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
CARE workers caught on camera roughly handling and verbally abusing an elderly woman at a Wraxall home were sentenced at Bristol Crown Court today (Fri).
The men were caught when the woman’s son put a hidden camera in her room at Granary Care Centre in Lodge Lane.
The court saw ‘harrowing’ footage of Gladys Wright being mistreated by people paid to look after her during night shifts in 2012.
Tomasz Gidaszewski, aged 30, of Biddisham Close in Nailsea, was sentenced to a community order and required to undertake 180 hours of unpaid work after pleading guilty to one count of ill-treating or wilfully-neglecting a person who lacks capacity.
Janusz Salnikow, aged 25, of Greenway Park in Bristol, pleaded guilty to three counts of ill-treatment or wilful neglect and was sentenced to two months in prison, suspended for 18 months, and 200 hours of unpaid work.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Baynes, aged 25, of Vineyards in Bath, was sentenced to three months in prison for three counts of ill-treatment and wilful neglect and one month’s imprisonment for theft.
Mrs Wright, aged 79, suffered from severe dementia and was placed in the care home because her family could no longer care for her.
- 1 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 2 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 3 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 4 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
- 5 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 6 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 7 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 8 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 9 Portishead Town set up Community Christmas Cheer to help local town
- 10 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign
To find out more read the North Somerset Times this week.