Teenager admits causing fiery explosion in Portishead
- Credit: Archant
A Portishead teenager has admitted setting fire to hay bales on the back of a lorry, causing an explosion and more than £200,000’s worth of damage.
Jonathan Cox, of Merlin Park, had just turned 18 when he set the straw alight in Old Mill Road back in April.
Police said at the time it was lucky no-one was killed by the fire, although Cox’s actions caused widespread damage to a lorry, car transporter, vehicles and a nearby business.
Kevin Blackmore, prosecuting, said the lorry and car transporter were parked up on April 15 by drivers, who then went to get something to eat.
When they returned however, the bales of hay had been set on fire and significant damage caused to the surrounding area.
Mr Blackmore said the lorry and cab were burnt out causing more than £100,000 in damage, including the destroyed hay.
You may also want to watch:
But the heat and flames from the burning inferno spread leading to a car transporter and its vehicles being damaged. The neighbouring T&G Woodware business also suffered £30,000 worth of damage, North Somerset Courthouse was told on Thursday.
Firefighters spent 16 hours at the scene extinguishing the fire and damping down.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 6 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 7 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 8 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
Mr Blackmore said: “There was damage to the forecourt and 100 litres of diesel flowed down into the drains, so the Environment Agency attended to stop the flow of fuel.”
Five men had been captured on CCTV around the area at the time, but Cox told police he had set fire to the hay with a lighter when questioned.
James Williams, defending, told the court that Cox’s action were reckless, but said the teenager did not intend to destroy property, despite causing ‘substantial damage’.
The Crown Prosecution Service refused to accept that claim and therefore there is likely to be a separate hearing before Cox is sentenced at Bristol Crown Court in the coming weeks.
Steven Mercer, chair of the bench, said Cox’s arson was so grave that he did not have the sentencing powers to hand the teenager a worthy punishment.
Addressing Cox, he said: “The offence is so serious that you need greater punishment than we can give.”