Postwoman facing jail after stealing parcels

A POSTWOMAN who stole dozens of parcels containing money, cheques, vouchers and gifts from Nailsea sorting office could be facing time behind bars.

Royal Mail investigators found hundreds of packets, letters and cards stashed at the home of Dawn Guy when her Birdcombe Close home was searched at the end of last year.

They also came across �2,075 in bank notes, gift cards from shops like Marks & Spencer and HMV, parcels containing empty earring boxes and hundreds of unopened packets.

The 27-year-old, who had been a postwoman for nearly six years, said she hated her job and wanted some sort of revenge against her employers.

She appeared at North Somerset Courthouse in St Georges this week, where it was revealed that she also took and opened utility bills, doctors’ appointments and birthday and condolence cards between July and November 2010.

Royal Mail managers became suspicious when an unusual amount of parcels containing cash were reported as ‘undelivered’ during that time.

So, investigators narrowed down the suspect by planting two fake packages in her pigeon hole, which should have been identified by Guy because they were not for her delivery area. They then waited outside her house and saw her enter it, before the end of her shift, with a parcel.

Most Read

Guy, who now lives in Cherry Road, Nailsea, pleaded guilty on Monday to one charge of stealing an unknown quantity of mail between July 1 and October 13, another of stealing 92 postal packets between October 12 and 22 and a final charge of being a postal operator in breach of duty and delaying the delivery of 205 items between October 15 and 22. These items were among the unopened ones found in Guy’s flat.

Jonathan Lewis, prosecuting, said: “Guy said that since July she had taken the items, but that she had not spent any of the money or vouchers and had thrown away cheques.

“She said she had not taken the items for financial gain and that she was unwell with mental health problems.”

Mr Lewis told the bench it should be considering a custodial sentence and the case was committed to Bristol Crown Court for sentence on February 21.