Man given suspended prison sentence after victim needed 20 stitches following punch

Johnson was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court. Picture: Archant

Johnson was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

A Portishead man has been spared jail after punching a man in the mouth.

Wayne Guiry was left with several stitches in his face after confronting Jack Johnson, aged 25, about his behaviour towards his father.

Johnson, of Bristol Road, was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on April 30 after pleading guilty to assaulting Mr Guiry and causing him actual bodily harm.

Prosecutor Simon Goodman told the court: "It was April 6 last year at 10pm in the evening.

"A number of people including the victim were in the Albion Pub in Portishead when they looked out the window and saw an altercation between Johnson and his father. There were no charges filed for this.

"The witnesses went outside and tried to split up the parties and they went in different directions.

"The defendant started to walk home and was followed by some of the witnesses, including the victim. The victim, Mr Guiry, said 'look at what you are doing to your dad'.

Most Read

"The defendant turned around and walked back to him and punched him once in the mouth, causing him to stagger back.

"He then continued to walk back home. The victim sustained a small, but deep cut to the left of his mouth.

"He had to go to the Bristol Royal Infirmary and had six stitches outside of his mouth and 14 to the inside.

"The defendant was interviewed and admitted he was involved but said it was in self-defence but there was no trial."

Judge Taylor had to consider whether to activate a suspended sentence Johnson previously held but was soon to expire.

Mitigating, Kevin Hooper, said his client had already completed his 40 rehabilitation activity days and had almost completed his 200 hours of unpaid work.

Judge Taylor told Johnson: "It is not for me to discuss how you did or didn't behave towards your father. Your behaviour towards him could have been the main event that night.

"Instead, it is the blow you delivered to your victim, it was not provoked and his behaviour was justified."

Johnson was handed a 32-week suspended prison sentence and ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and to complete a 20-day rehabilitation activity.

He was also told to pay £750 in compensation to the victim.