Police sergeant allegedly touched officer's hair and took photo of another
- Credit: Stephen Sumner
An Avon and Somerset police sergeant touched an officer’s hair without permission, took a photo of another without consent and described sex acts after getting drunk in a pub, it is alleged.
The sergeant, who organised the work night out in Weston and was the most senior officer present, is accused of speaking about taking drugs in his youth and suggested colleagues would have done the same.
It is also claimed he disclosed private information to officers he had been privy to and should not have shared, asked questions of a “highly sexualised nature, which were unwarranted and inappropriate” and made “inappropriate comments to and about an officer’s mother”.
The unnamed sergeant, referred to as PS X, faces a police misconduct hearing at force headquarters in Portishead on June 7, over allegations that he breached the standards of professional behaviour and that it amounts to gross misconduct.
A notice issued by the constabulary says he arranged the gathering on the evening of July 11 last year.
It says: “Both off-duty police colleagues and members of the public were present in the pub and its beer garden, and in close proximity to him at all material times.
“He was the most senior police officer present.
“During the course of the evening, he consumed a number of alcoholic drinks and became intoxicated.
“It is alleged that PS X had a number of conversations with and within the hearing of other police colleagues which were inappropriate.
“PS X spoke about taking drugs in his youth and suggested that other officers would have done the same.
“PS X touched another officer’s hair without their consent and took a photograph of another officer without their permission.”
The notice says he disclosed private information that should not have been shared, had “unwarranted and inappropriate” discussions with officers and asked questions of a highly sexualised nature.
“These included him describing sexual acts.
- 1 From cleaning windows to playing for Ashton & Backwell - Coleman's story
- 2 Ashton & Backwell United progress in FA Vase after win at Stonehouse Town
- 3 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 4 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village
- 5 Clevedon's home match with Gordano will be 'hugely proud moment' for Owen
- 6 Wildlife expert joins Portishead Arts Festival line-up
- 7 North Somerset mortgage firm named UK's number one broker for outstanding customer outcomes
- 8 Staff working 'tirelessly' to reopen school after 'catastrophic' flood damage
- 9 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 10 Funds of £20k available for North Somerset groups
“Later in the evening PS X made inappropriate comments to and about an officer’s mother.”
It says the conduct is in breach of standards of professional behaviour in terms of authority, respect and courtesy, equality and diversity, confidentiality, honesty and integrity, and discreditable conduct.
“It is alleged that PS X’s conduct amounts, individually and/or cumulatively, to gross misconduct,” the notice says.
If the allegations are found proved, he could be sacked.