Pensioner stashed 60,000 child abuse images
- Credit: Archant
A 72-year-old Portishead man has been sentenced after police found a pornography collection featuring child abuse in his home.
John Burton, of Hillcrest Road, admitted nine charges of possessing indecent photos and videos of children and four of making, or downloading, them.
Police discovered about 60,000 images and videos when they searched his house last year.
Burton was not jailed for his crimes, but was handed a three-year community order and ordered to register as a sex offender. The pensioner was also given a 10-year sexual harm prevention order which allows his internet usage to be monitored.
His crimes were discovered by police in March 2014 when he ordered items from a website known to promote abuse images.
You may also want to watch:
He had about 250 images which ranked in the most serious abuse category, about 850 in the second and more than 59,700 in the third and lowest category of severity.
Judge Neil Ford, speaking at Bristol Crown Court on Wednesday, ordered Burton’s pornographic images to be destroyed.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'