Pensioner stashed 60,000 child abuse images
- Credit: Archant
A 72-year-old Portishead man has been sentenced after police found a pornography collection featuring child abuse in his home.
John Burton, of Hillcrest Road, admitted nine charges of possessing indecent photos and videos of children and four of making, or downloading, them.
Police discovered about 60,000 images and videos when they searched his house last year.
Burton was not jailed for his crimes, but was handed a three-year community order and ordered to register as a sex offender. The pensioner was also given a 10-year sexual harm prevention order which allows his internet usage to be monitored.
His crimes were discovered by police in March 2014 when he ordered items from a website known to promote abuse images.
You may also want to watch:
He had about 250 images which ranked in the most serious abuse category, about 850 in the second and more than 59,700 in the third and lowest category of severity.
Judge Neil Ford, speaking at Bristol Crown Court on Wednesday, ordered Burton’s pornographic images to be destroyed.
- 1 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 3 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
- 4 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 5 Estate agents invites children to create Halloween window displays
- 6 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes
- 7 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 8 Portishead salon to wear all pink for breast cancer fundraiser
- 9 Road group condemns 'unacceptable traffic misery' in village
- 10 Officer's final written warning after sending inappropriate messages