Pensioner stashed 60,000 child abuse images
- Credit: Archant
A 72-year-old Portishead man has been sentenced after police found a pornography collection featuring child abuse in his home.
John Burton, of Hillcrest Road, admitted nine charges of possessing indecent photos and videos of children and four of making, or downloading, them.
Police discovered about 60,000 images and videos when they searched his house last year.
Burton was not jailed for his crimes, but was handed a three-year community order and ordered to register as a sex offender. The pensioner was also given a 10-year sexual harm prevention order which allows his internet usage to be monitored.
His crimes were discovered by police in March 2014 when he ordered items from a website known to promote abuse images.
You may also want to watch:
He had about 250 images which ranked in the most serious abuse category, about 850 in the second and more than 59,700 in the third and lowest category of severity.
Judge Neil Ford, speaking at Bristol Crown Court on Wednesday, ordered Burton’s pornographic images to be destroyed.
- 1 New bike racks installed in Portishead High Street
- 2 Car show produced in Clevedon proving to be popular among petrolheads
- 3 Roomy chocolate-box cottage packed with period features
- 4 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 5 Health leaders urge people to keep following Covid guidelines as rates begin to drop in North Somerset
- 6 Shop Local: Chamber of commerce urges people to utilise high street independents this weekend
- 7 First year success for racing superstar Trevorrow
- 8 Business in Kenn nominated for prestigious Business Leader Awards
- 9 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 10 Clevedon carer raises more than £1,600 with charity head shave