Lieutenant admits filming girls in changing rooms

Lt. Col. Mark RadwayPic: SWNS

Lt. Col. Mark RadwayPic: SWNS - Credit: Adam Gray

A NAILSEA lieutenant, who described himself as ‘a lovely man,’ secretly filmed children in swimming pool changing rooms and took pictures up girls’ skirts, a court heard.

On Monday, Mark Radway, aged 43, pleaded guilty at North Somerset Courthouse to six counts of taking an indecent photograph of a child, six counts of distributing an indecent photograph of a child and four counts of making an indecent image of a child.

The court heard how the lieutenant colonel, of Briar Close, made movies and photographs of children and teenage girls while stationed at Tidworth army barracks in Wiltshire between January 2011 and November 2012.

Mike Collins, prosecuting, said Radway filmed children and teenage girls as they walked around supermarkets with their parents.

He would place his phone in the bottom of his shopping basket to take pictures up girls’ skirts to ‘see what he could get.’

Mr Collins said: “He (Radway) said it started as a game of risk, all about thrills and the adrenaline rush. But he has described himself as a lovely man.

“He made movies of children as they were changing in swimming pool changing rooms and then uploaded them to film sharing sites.

Most Read

“Females were filmed randomly when his camera was with him.

“He could not say why he put the images on the sharing site but said he received positive feedback and that made him feel good.

“He then took more which progressed to the up-skirt images. He did feel very guilty and realised what he had done was wrong and took various cameras to a skip.

“He says he has no sexual interest in children and is a man of previous good character.”

Continued on page 7

The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) identified the user name on the film sharing site and were able to link them to the home address of Radway.

Police then recovered his computer and he gave a full admission.

Mr Collins added: “He (Radway) said he only knew someone was in the cubicle and did not know what was happening in there.”

Reuben Scott, defending, said: “This has had a significant effect on him and his family. He wished to avail himself and he pleaded guilty as early as possible.”

Radway was granted conditional bail and will appear at Bristol Crown Court for sentencing on May 20.