Community bus provides new routes
PASSENGERS left stranded when bus routes in Kingston Seymour and Clapton-in-Gordano were reduced due to North Somerset Council budget cuts, will become mobile again after a re-launch of services this week.
Nailsea and District Community Transport has stepped in after a �20,000 start up grant from the unitary authority enabled it to cover some of the routes.
There will be a new community minibus for residents in Clapton-in-Gordano with regular journeys to Portishead on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Travellers in Kingston Seymour will benefit from a new service between the village and Clevedon on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.
North Somerset Council’s executive member for transport, Elfan Ap Rees, said: “We see community transport as playing an increasing role to connect rural communities with town centres and major transport hubs, especially since we have had to cut some of our subsidised bus routes that were carrying very low numbers of passengers as part of our cost-saving measures.
You may also want to watch:
“Being able to work with community transport groups to provide these new routes is a good outcome but once again their future will depend on people using them.”
Passengers pay �2 for a single journey but because the community transport is a charity, Diamond Travelcards will not be valid.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 3 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 4 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 5 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 6 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 7 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 8 Clevedon resident raises more than £9k for MS research
- 9 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 10 Medal joy for North Somerset athletes at English Schools Championships
For more information about the routes call Nailsea and District Community Transport on 01275 855 552 or log onto www.n-somerset.gov.uk/communitytransport