Colin’s 150th blood donation
- Credit: supplied
A PORTISHEAD resident has joined an elite group of blood donors after making his 150th donation.
Retired prison officer Colin Hughes made his 150th blood donation on January 17 at the NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) donor suite at Southmead Hospital.
The 74-year-old, who has been donating blood since August 1959, had previously been recognised for his 50-year dedication to blood donation.
With each donation able to save the lives of three adults, Mr Hughes has potentially saved 450 people since his first donation 54 years ago.
Out of the eligible four per cent of the population who give blood, only three per cent reach 75 donations and just one per cent reaches 100, so, Mr Hughes, who moved to Portishead in 1976, has now joined a rare group of donors who have reached the 150 milestone.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “When I first started giving blood, it felt like I was doing something worthwhile, for me, giving blood is painless and it takes up less than 45 minutes of my time.
“There are so many uses for blood and you never know who you might help, I would encourage everyone who can to give blood.”
- 1 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 2 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 3 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 4 Clevedon girl, 4, wins music award
- 5 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 6 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 7 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 8 Conservative candidate chosen for by-election
- 9 Woodspring Women in hunt for new players over the age of 16 to join their side
- 10 North Somerset Stars lose out to Cheltenham rivals
Anyone aged between 17-65, who weighs more than 50kg (7 stone 12lbs) and who is in general good health could potentially start saving lives by becoming a blood donor. There is no upper age limit for donors who have donated in the past two years.
To book an appointment call the Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk